Page 1 of 1

Peeled Cooked Shrimp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:40 pm
by jskpinoy
I have a question for the experts, is Peeled Cooked Shrimp bad for my turts?
I understand that variety is the best...and protein mostly for young turtles... but they love shrimp... i change it up with pellets and shrimp every other day......
Image

thats my red ear slider eating from chop stix... i currently live in Japan, stationed here for 1 more year....

the only problem i have is that he has this whitish/greenish spot on his shell, it grew a little bit, but it seems like theres an air bubble under it too..... how can i fix it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:48 am
by BullDog
Cute vid! :)

The shrimp is OK once and a while for a treat, but not more than once a month. Every second day is too much. Too much protein can cause pyramiding.

The spot on his shell - if you can give a pic when the shell is dry, it would be best. However, if there is an air bubble it most likely is shedding, which is perfectly normal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:21 am
by jskpinoy
copy that... i will minimize from shrimp even tho they love it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:58 am
by turtlelover818
cute video

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:55 am
by mzkitty23
i have a great friend that just got home from 10 years in the Air Force and he was stationed in Japan for a long time, he loved it...mind if i ask r u in the military and if so, what branch you're in?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 am
by jskpinoy
Cool, theres a couple AF bases here, i am in the Navy Yokosuka Japan...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:10 pm
by grey goose
Beaker and Gomie would do back flips for shrimp! But it should only be given as a rare treat.....Too much protein and not much else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:50 pm
by scripta_elegans
awww! Ziggy piggy! Very cute video! I agree with once a month, I am so allergic to shrimp that I can't even have them in the house, but they would be a great treat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:31 pm
by Spookster
Where is Yokosuka? Is that on the mainland? I was stationed in Okinawa for a year myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 pm
by jskpinoy
Yeah Yokosuka is about a-30min train ride to Tokyo... I loved Okinawa, my ship went to Kadena AFB, and White Beach.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 am
by SpotsMama
Hi Scripta,

don't you put ghost shrimp in your turtle tanks? I wonder why they don't trigger your allegies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:09 pm
by industrial_girl_2000
Sheba loves shrimp too! But I only give it to her once in a while as a treat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 am
by scripta_elegans
Spots mama- I think it's the cooking/handling of peeled shrimp that gets me. The ghost shrimp go into a net and straight into the aquarium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm
by RonnWilliams
If shrimp should be fed only once a month, what about rosey red feeder fish???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:25 pm
by steve
About the same -- or less. I don't feed my RES either.