Page 1 of 1
mealworms and ghost shrimp

Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:46 am
by imderanged
I was looking on the "nutrition" page on the main site for info on live prey, cause Sylar seems to really like that. I noticed they were selling "Ghost Shrimp" for .25 cents in my local fish store, so I wanted to check if they were OK before I bought one for him. It says "rarely" for them, so I guess its OK as long as I don't over do it, but it got me to wondering what makes it a "rarely" item when, say, rosie reds are "occationally"? And I noticed mealworms are "not recomended"...why is that? I used to feed them all the time before I found out that I was giving him too much protein, but he still gets one every once in a while, I keep them around for my gecko. Should I stop giving him those all together?

Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:25 am
by AnthonyGarcia
i sometimes take out ghost shrimps from my brother's planted tank to feed my turts. i feed them like once every two months... maybe that's what they call rarely, i guess/

Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 pm
by megcornell
Once in a while I get a few to clean up some of the debris on the bottom of my turtle tanks. It takes my turtles a few days to catch them all because they're so hard to see (I suspect).
I don't think there's any harm in an occasional feeding. I'm not sure why they are classified as "rare" though.
mealworms

Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm
by Rexamus
I was told by the manager at Petsmart not to feed a baby turtle mealworms. Apparently the worms can eat through a baby turtle's stomach.
I realize I've been told a lot of things from petstores and reptile shops that haven't always been true and this may be one of them...but I'm not taking any chances!

Posted:
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:53 am
by imderanged
heh, Sylar aways chewed them up pretty good, don't think I'd worry about them eating through this stomach, they were in little pieces by the time he swallowed them.