Page 1 of 3

water plants?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:44 pm
by turtleowner
What kind of water plants can i put in my turtle's tank? do they sell them at petco?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:53 pm
by ellman605

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:09 pm
by turboturtle8
I have never seen them at petco but I might be wrong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:24 pm
by Safdar
They might be at petco, call and ask to make sure

They are at petsmarts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:13 pm
by DavidY
Most of the Petco's around here sell aquatic plants as do most of the smaller pet stores that sell freshwater fish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:28 pm
by marisa
I don't know about CA, but here (CT) it's not possible to buy anachris.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:40 pm
by DavidY
Same w/ here in NH. :( But I might try to get some from ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:43 pm
by marisa
Why don't you just go south to MA?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:06 pm
by urbancleopatra
Can you find a Big Al's?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:27 pm
by DavidY
Are they legal in MA? I would think they would be banned there too since they tend to overtake ponds and lakes anywhere up here. I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 am
by Kayra33
My turtle loves the anchoris and eats in right away, the same with the amazon swords and water hyacinth's. If you are looking for a nice aquatic plant that your turtle can eat but doesn't really show too much interest that would be the hornwort. I have so much in my tank that I just keep taking bundles of it and making new plants. It definitely makes a nice appearance for my tank and Brooks loves hiding in it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:28 pm
by marisa
I was told that Petco in Springfield sells anachris, so I'm assuming the plant can be bought throughout the state...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:07 pm
by DavidY
I just looked up on an online site that said Anacharis is considered an invasive plant in AL, CT, ME, NH, OR, SC, VT, and WA. I don't know how other states are able to keep it under control (and legal) but ours can't. :? Oh well, I'll just have to pick some up next time I'm in MA and smuggle it over the border. :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:35 pm
by marisa
I don't think you have to go to such an extreme as smuggling it (a joke?). I go either west (NY) or east (RI) for it and have never been secretive about it (I often ride Greyhound).

I doubt it's under control in other states. I think it just hasn't gotten to the point where they feel they have to do something about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm
by DavidY
:lol: Yea, just kidding...I don't think it's that big a deal as long as I'm not dumping them in the local waterways.