Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am
Yeah, that vet thing is pretty common. I mean, I can't imagine them not seeing the turtle at least, but treating, I can understand that small turtles are very difficult to treat!
The photos seem to show a little pink. Can you try this experiment and report back the results? Get a super soft toothbrush or wash rag and with tank-temperature water from the tap, gently wipe the shell or scrub it a little bit. Does the pink come off? If the pink comes off, it's a harmless bacteria/algae/mold that is frequently added into the water supply as a tracer, and you may just want to check out your tank chemistry or try a small water change. If it doesn't come off, there is a turtle disorder that turns the shell pink/red, but I don't remember what it's called. It's on the forums if you search pink shells. Typically it's just a matter of it being the harmless thing in the water, the turtle disorder is fairly uncommon.
Oh, and know that it's not likely that if your turtle becomes ill that it was your fault. Turtles are treated horribly before they come to us, and we just try to give them as good of a life as we can! Before they come to us, they are often kept with hundreds of babies in too small of conditions, and they are sold to us sick and vulnerable. Many baby turtles on this board have passed away. The key is to recognize if he is really sick and to separate them to let the healthy one not get sick. But I'm still not certain that he's sick.
Your one photo, it looks like you have rather shallow water? What size tank do you have? Ideally, you want to have at least a 20 gallon tank at this point mostly filled up, since you have 2 hatchlings. Much less than that, and it's difficult to maintain the water temps or even fit a water heater in there. If you have a smaller tank, like a 10 gallon, you want to fill it up much more. RES are aquatic and love to swim and dive. It's also much easier to tell if there is something wrong when there is more water. You can include underwater resting areas (I used upside-down suction-cup soap dishes I got from Walmart) that you can place just under the water so they can just lay there and be close to the surface.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)