Page 1 of 1

20 gallon tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:38 pm
by adam85491
My neighbor just picked up the 20 gallon tank he used to have but gave to his sister. He offered it to me and I would like to use this, but it is a few years old and kinda dirty, the previous owner had trouble keeping fish alive, so I ask, would it be ok to clean this tank, filter it for a few days, and use it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:52 pm
by grey goose
Get a large spray bottle, mix up some water and 10% bleach, spray it on and scrub well, repeating if nessasary, both inside and out. Use one of those sponges with a rough side, suitable for glass. Then rinse VERY WELL with plenty of water, then wipe it down with paper towels and let it dry. It should be good as new.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:46 pm
by adam85491
OK, the tank was fine until his sister used it and cleaned it out with soap. She continued to use it but the fish kept dying except for a wild minnow. The tank was put in the basement for about nine months, so would it be ok to clean it out without soap this time and with a very light bleach or a tank cleaner and rinse it out several times? I want to, but soap was in it at one time, so I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 pm
by yertle_the_girl_turtle
the soap will probably be all washed out by the time you're done cleaning it the way gray goose suggested. I'm pretty sure your turts will be ok, but, just in case, put a few feeder guppies in it and see how they survive. If they live, it's a sucsess. If not, ask your vet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 pm
by adam85491
I really want to use it, but I didn't know that she made the error of using soap to clean the tank. I can buy tank cleaner and rinse it out every day for a week, and then stick a goldfish in there with a small filter for a week and see if its ok, but it seems risky. I'll keep thinking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:58 pm
by yertle_the_girl_turtle
Ok. it's your decision. ;)