Page 1 of 1

xp3 troubles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:38 pm
by missibsu
Most of you know that I'm a big fan of the xp3, but mine is having issues. Well, it could just be me with the issues, but I can't figure out what I did. After cleaning out the filter the last two times, I have had mega issues getting it restarted. It used to be that I could push the tubes back into place and let it fill, then plug it in...now it isn't wanting to fill. I end up having to go through the whole repriming issue. I was willing to settle doing this, but then the power went out the other day and it didn't restart. If I hadn't been home, who knows how long it would have continued to run and not actually flow.

So, what have I done to make this happen, or is something wrong with my xp3?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:17 pm
by steve
When you clean it, do you leave the tubes in place? If it's not wanting to prime, then the water is escaping the tubes. It could be from the intake nozzle or even the extension tubes if they don't have a snug fit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:24 am
by missibsu
Any idea how I check this, other than going through and checking every fitting?

Come to think of it, all of this started when I detached the hoses to clean them out. So I probably didn't resecure one of the hoses tight enough.

Thanks Steve! I'll let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 am
by steve
For me, it's usually one of the blue intake tubes that loosen a bit. I notice a bit more air in the filte when it's running.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:54 pm
by Thirzty Turtle
im getting an xp3 and after reading this im wondering. will the filter appear to be running even if it isnt really filtering at all? how do u know if it is actually doing anything?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:48 pm
by SpotsMama
You'll know if it's filtering because water will be coming out of the output tube if it's running. If no water is coming out, then it's not filtering either because it needs priming again (air got into the system) or for some other reason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:33 pm
by CountryGirl68
Thirzty turtle, what Missi is talking about has to do with the filter not starting up right after a cleaning, not once the filter is running.

Missi, I've had this happen to me a couple of times recently. I've never disconnected the tubes so that might not be the problem. What I've noticed happens with mine is that, when I disconnect the tubes to clean the filter, there is still water in the output tube ... when I prime it, this water runs into the filter and, in order to get the filter to start up again, I have to make sure there is no water left in the output tube. Frustrating, but I think it has to do with the water that remains in the tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:42 pm
by SpotsMama
I don't usually have to re-prime my XP3 after a cleaning. One time I did, though. It was because there was a brief power interruption just as I was starting up the filter after a cleaning which allowed air to get into the system. Other than that one time, I've never had a problem.

I've never disconnected the tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:47 am
by missibsu
Thirzty Turtle wrote:im getting an xp3 and after reading this im wondering. will the filter appear to be running even if it isnt really filtering at all? how do u know if it is actually doing anything?


Despite my issues, I would still recommend the xp3! I love the way that it keeps my tank sparkling, and it is easy to maintain. I wouldn't let this sway your choice. I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:04 pm
by Muirner
I have an XP3, and so far i've had it up and running for about a month. It keeps my tank very clean and the filter is very quiet. My first cleaning of the filter will be this month, and the only thing is, i have to clean the intake tube because it got dirty, this of course is because i feed in the same tank.