Habitat - Indoor :: FIsh

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:29 pm   FIsh

HEy ok i just got my turtle well i have had it but i just know thought of putting in like fish in the same tank as his not for food but as like a play mate or something idk what kind should i use or should i not
terrensax
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 4, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:33 pm   

Welcome to the forum. If you don't plan on the fish being food for your turtle, don't put them in with him. Your turtle doesn't need a playmate. Take a look at some of the photos in the Photo Gallery to see how some members have made their tanks more interesting for their turtles.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:41 pm   

How large is your turtle right now? If it's still a baby it won't be able to eat, say a full grown cichlid. But as Marisa said, a full grown turtle will eventually eat any fish that is put with it.
User avatar
Kallistos
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Aug 17, 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:27 pm   

Hey, just wondering, do turtles attack, and try to eat fish bigger than them, such as an adult Koi? I would assume that turtles would probably just try, and maybe chomp off a fin or two, before the fish dying, but I see a lot of places and people put a bunch of large Koi together with RES, so do the fish live, or will all fish eventually get eaten, just that the staff/owners quickly clean up the mess and replace them before the public can see?
Hey hey hey.
Pizza
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Oct 3, 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15 am   

It depends on the turtle, but yes they can go after something bigger. Young RES may be a bit reluctant, but in a confined area the fish have no chance.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:04 pm   

I tried a large pleco when my turts were smaller and even though the turtles were half the size of the pleco, they tried. I have no doubt that they would have shredded it if I had given them the chance.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 pm   

Welcome to the forum!! I'm pretty new myself!! If you were to put fish in with your RES, how many fish and how big are the fish?? How old is your turtle and how big?

Young turts are more carnivorous because they need the protein from the live prey to grow. I put 10 rosy minnows for food and my turtles only ate 4 of them. So, I guess it depends on the turtle.
Chris = )

2 RES Shea and Delgada
(R.I.P. Beltran 1/21/07)

2 Peach-Faced Lovebirds Napoleon & Veronica

And some fish!!!!!!
FanOfTurts
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Location: Rego Park, Queens, NY

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:08 pm   re: fish

I was under the impression that my RESs would eat the feeder fish I put in. However, I must have the craziest turtles in the world! I've got two red eared sliders. I had traveled out of town for a week back in July and bought a dozen feeder fish so that they would have food while I was gone. Anyway, long story short... once I returned home 5 of the fish were still alive (no big deal) but now...in December the 5 fish are still alive and living happily in the tank with two red ear sliders. To be honest, it kind of upsets me because now I have to buy food for these darn fish to :D .

About 2 months ago I had a 2nd tank that was truely a fish tank (Guromis, tetra, pleco etc.) I let that tank die out and the last fish living was the pleco. Seeing that the feeder fish had lived so happily with my RESs I decided to try the pleco in the tank to thinking he could help keep the tank clean. I'm happy to report that now all the creatures are living happily together in a 55 gallon long tank. 2 Red Eared Sliders, 5 Feeder fish and a Pleco.

I have to admit, I do enjoy the tank with all the friends and have been thinking about getting another baby RES from a friend and introducing him to the happy tank. (Of course I would get a larger tank for 3 turtles)

So, while I think it is extremely rare and may not be permanent...it is, in my opinion, possible for fish to co-exist with RESs.
MrRedmanbhs
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Dec 19, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:29 pm   

Actually you don't need to buy food for those fish.. they should and will eat the leftovers from your messy turtles.. :) Well unless you feed outside the main tank. Many of us have feeder fish that co-existed for a period of time with our turtles, but unfortunately for the fish, it doesn't last forever :)

On adding a baby to your existing tank. We recommend not adding turtles of significantly different sizes. Older turtles can inadvertantly harm babies and can be come very aggressive. Another reason would be that they could carry a disease to your healthy turtles. Quarantine should be for approximately 90 days. Just another thought.. are you prepared to have 3 separate enclosures if at some point they don't get along?? Just some thoughts.
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:29 pm   re: Fish

Good point on being prepared. :D While the thought crossed my mind to introduce a newer turtle while the other 2 were still relatively small (4 inch and maybe 2 inch) I had not thought of "what if it doesn't work".
MrRedmanbhs
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Dec 19, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 pm   

I personally would not put a hatchling in with a 4" turtle. Just too risky.
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests