Page 1 of 3
help with habitat build

Posted:
Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:22 pm
by coreyjw34
Hello, im looking for any hints, insights, instructions, Anything really, about building a nice stock tank turtle table set up.
Similar to the image i want my stock tank to be within the table, so it can be full of water and my res can bask along the edges.
thank you!
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm
by Starscream
That's awesome.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 pm
by coreyjw34
i know! i cant wait to start this project
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 am
by Kansasslider
I have thought about doing something like that with my tank. The one thing to consider is how to water proof all the horizontal wood surfaces. They will no doubt get some water on them sometime. The other problem I would have is my tank is really big so in order to clean it I would have to crawl or walk on the wood so I would have to make it strong enough to support my weight. For a smaller tank there are some threads on here showing builds.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:54 am
by Starscream
Kansas, I would think vertical supports around the frame would support a lot of weight. If you copied that set up exactly, there would only be three areas that might need extra support depending on how much you weigh. If you look, there is one in the front, and two in the back. I would just put in vertical bracing, maybe and extra 5 boards and you should be fine.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 am
by Kansasslider
Yea,I don't think it would be 2 tuff.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 am
by Starscream
It realli shocked me that my 240 glass aquarium has only one support
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:39 am
by Kansasslider
Well, actually 5

Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:52 am
by Starscream
I meant only one extra added to the shell of the stand. There are no legs on it. The walls are half inch thick oak and go from top to bottom all the way around. One 2x6 in the center, and it holds a ton of water and tank. Build like that and you may not need bracing at all.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 am
by Kansasslider
I know was just kidding.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 am
by Starscream
Next tank, will be my whole living room, 1000 gallons, I want a shark.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 pm
by TortsNTurtles
That is a nice set up. I have been going back and forth to do something like this or a large glass aquarium. I like the glass to see her swim but a stock tank set up you can make it look more natural. If you do decide please take step by step pictures

Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 pm
by coreyjw34
Im starting to hate glass tanks more and more, i can just imagine being a turtle and being able to see this big open area, but constantly hitting a wall

Im acturally thinking of changing the build a bit to make it more accesable. Instead of having the tank sunk into the center of the table, i could just connect a table to the side of the tank.
here's a crude picture to get the general idea.
i could use large metal brackets to secure around the tank and screw into the table, this way the tank could just be slid away and cleaned.
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:48 pm
by coreyjw34
just trying to figure out what i could connect to the stock tank edges so they wont just flop out to the floor, i want the tank to be full
Re: help with habitat build

Posted:
Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:19 pm
by Kansasslider
If its a Rubbermaid stock tank you can fill it full no problem. You won't have to reinforce it. Interesting idea! But you would have to put plexi all the way around it so your turtles can't escape. At the top that is.