Page 1 of 1

tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm
by Lubymum
Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum and a first time RES owner. We got our RES' at the weekend from a lady who couldn't commit to them anymore. She said they are 5 years old male and female. Their tank set up is very basic all it had was some gravel, a rock and an artificial rock, a heater and a small filter with a uv light over the top. I have added a small lamp that gives off heat for them but its not a proper heat lamp.

I have seen other set ups on here with plants and a basking area and they look lovely. I went to our local aquatics shop and he said just to buy a new filter "they don't need nothing else"

I really need help oh its a 3ft tank

What should I put in, what kind of plants? Real or artificial?

Where to buy a basking area or do you have to make your own?

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm
by devilduck
I wouldn't worry about plants right now.

You will need light fixtures with that provide heat and UVB. Usually making your own basking area is much more economical than buying one. If you seearch I have a thread on making one out of cheap PVC pipe.

How large are these turtles? I'm concerned that a 3ft tank may not be enough for the both of the both of them.

Do get a large canister filter, 2 turtles generate a ton of waste.

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:49 pm
by Lubymum
Devilduck

Thanks

Juliet is about 20cm and percy is about 12cm

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:47 am
by steve
Sounds like you are right about their sexes. Males usually become aggressive and require separation, you should be aware of this. I'd remove the gravel as it can cause an impaction and traps a lot of waste. Do you have any thermometers to monitor water temperature?

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm
by Lubymum
Steve

They have a heater set at 26c

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm
by Lubymum
Steve, Taken the gravel out you were definately right about it collecting muck.

Going to get basking area sorted and better filter this weekend :-)

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:04 am
by Kansasslider
If you want something in the bottom of the tank consider sand. Any color you want. I had it in my small tank and now I also have it in my large tank. I used white petco sand. Left over food or waste just sits on top and you can use a tank siphon to clean it.

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:14 am
by Lubymum
your setup looks great. I looked up about sand on the internet some people saying the turtles will eat it.

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 am
by Kansasslider
Thank you. Please read this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17268

Re: tank in need of help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:48 pm
by kodiack
Im using pool filter sand in my setup, its way cheaper than the actual aquarium sand and it seems to be practically the same.
PS: Sand doesnt cause impactation as they can easily pass any they ingest.