Page 1 of 1
should i be worried

Posted:
Sat May 25, 2013 9:07 pm
by cameron740
so i found a nice peice of wild wood from my back yard and i baked it in the oven for 1 hour and a half and blached it for a half an hour and ive had it in his tank for bout a week and its starting to grow mold should i take it out and how do i get rid of the mold
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Sat May 25, 2013 11:04 pm
by ljapa
I don't know anything about prepping wood for a tank, but I have heard the mold is pretty common with new driftwood.
This from a cichlid site mentions the fungus at the end at that it is normal:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 am
by steve
I would take it out, clean it and soak it for a long time before using it in a tank.
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm
by cameron740
yeah i took it out
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 pm
by Kansasslider
Mopani wood does the same thing sometimes. I boil it for a few hrs then let it soak and change the water daily sometimes for months.Its tricky. Some does well some not.
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:54 pm
by Yukio
I think you should, it might harm your turtles...
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 pm
by AlexisAwesome
You should get floating wood from ps or walmart. Not real wood.
Re: should i be worried

Posted:
Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 pm
by Kansasslider
mopani wood is fine you just have to let the tanins leach out. It won't harm your tank just turns the water dark.As for your drift wood just soak it in a bucket change the water daily. I have had the same thing happen with mopani I have 1 piece laying outside in the sun hoping that will kill the mold.