Habitat - Indoor :: Smelly tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:18 pm   Smelly tank

Hello I have had Lily for about 2 months and I cleaned the tank every other week, and everything was good, I added a new turtle Pad, and after cleaning the tank it has only been one week and its starting to smell any suggestions? should I add additional filter?
Vatoloco13
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 4, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 pm   Re: Smelly tank

How big is Lily? How big is the tank? What kind of filter are you using? Rule of thumb is you should get a filter that can handle 2x the gallons of water you are filtering, as most filters are made for fish aquariums, and fish don't produce as much poop and whatnot as a turtle.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
User avatar
ataraxiamb
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 am   Re: Smelly tank

Lily is about 5 inches, Pad is about 4, tank is 60 gallons, I was using a tetra whisper x70, since smell started i bought a fluval u4
Vatoloco13
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 4, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:35 pm   Re: Smelly tank

When was the last time you replaced the filter pad?

I think the majority of the people here would recommend getting an external canister filter as the internal filters do not do too well at cleaning up turtle tanks.
Tdgosu
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:46 pm   Re: Smelly tank

What do you feed them? How often do you do water changes at least once a week? Your tank should not smell at all if your doing everything correctly .Your filter might not be able to keep up with the poop! How much water is in the tank. No reason for smelly water other than your doing something wrong! :roll: oh yeah um do you use carbon?
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
User avatar
Kansasslider
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: May 10, 2012
Location: Manhattan,Kansas.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 pm   Re: Smelly tank

Sounds like a better filter is needed. Though my turtle would delight in visiting and eating all of the poop.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
User avatar
ataraxiamb
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 am   Re: Smelly tank

when I only had Lily I was cleaning biweekly, when I added Pad it only took one week and it started smelling, so to the external filter I had I have added an internal filter also it seem to helped the issue water look cleaner, and the smell has gone away
Vatoloco13
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 4, 2013
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 am   Re: Smelly tank

In my opinion,You should do a 50% water change once a week.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
User avatar
Kansasslider
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: May 10, 2012
Location: Manhattan,Kansas.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am   Re: Smelly tank

I don't think even both of those filters working together is enough for a 2 turtle tank with a 4 and a 5 inch turtle for long. Look into stepping up to a full size canister filter in the 150 gallon+ range. If your on a budget check out the SunSun/Perfect brand filters on ebay.
User avatar
devilduck
 
Posts: 957
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL.
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests