Page 1 of 1

filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 pm
by boo_saa
Hi need some advice fir some of the guru here.. I having 2x8month old res in my 20g tank.water level fill up to about 3/4 full.
I am using this canister filter ex-500 flow rate is 500lph from easy aqua.www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5236

Problem I face is that its not really cleaning the tank. I realise that the dirt at the bottom of the tank is not actually been in suck up by the input hose..I could see that the dirt is just at the tip of the hose and it not been suck up.

Thinking of changing one. Can any one advice on one that is good base on my tank size



Tks

Re: filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 am
by steve
I'm NOT* the filter guru but don't expect any filter to pick up all the waste in your tank, especially the heavier kind. Do you have the filter intake and nozzle set in optimal positions?

*EDIT - forgot a word.

Re: filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 am
by boo_saa
Thanks for your reply.. mind elaborate on the position. I place the intake tube/ pipe in the center / against the back glass.and the out put/spray is about 5finger lengh away from it pumping water out on the glass.

Re: filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am
by Into_the_Mystic
should they be close together? I have the intake on one side and the out flow at the opposite end.

Re: filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:36 pm
by steve
Yes, keep them at opposite ends. Try to have the nozzle agitate the water surface too.

Re: filter not cleaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm
by devilduck
Most of the time if the waste is heavy enough to sink to the bottom a filter will not pick it up.