Page 1 of 1
life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:07 pm
by leontager
Hi, I bought an Exo Terra UVA/UVB light bulb about a year ago. I read on this site that the UVB runs out within 6-10 months. The light bulb is still functioning fine. The turtle still basks on it. Do I need to buy a new bulb?
Also, what water conditioner would you recommend to buy?
Thanks
Leon
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:22 pm
by VeipaCray
Yes you're due for a new bulb. The UV output from the bulbs drop over time. Without an expensive UVB meter it's hard to tell the exact output but you're probably about due for a replacement.
No water conditioner. If you search this forum you'll find many articles / topics / posts on the use of water conditioners. It's best to filter your water through some activated carbon. Worst case, just add some carbon to your filter. Activated carbon will remove chlorine / chloramine the same as a water conditioner but without the negative side affects of adding any chemicals to your water.
Welcome to the forum!
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 am
by ataraxiamb
Not to hijack, but I know my bulb is only UVA, not UVB. I have a 20 gallon tank. Would I need 5.0 or 10.0?
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm
by steve
You can use either if you can adjust the height/distance of it.
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 pm
by Mart396
I've red that 10.0 is a bulb made for reptiles of the deserts (more % of UVB and UVA). I'd go for a 5.0.
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 am
by Kansasslider
The 5.0 says its for animals that might live in rainforest type habitat. Lots of trees/cover. The 10.0 dessert dwellers.. I would say the 10.0. I have used both and really can't say if one is better or not. Wild turtles bask a "lot" in full sun light so i would say the 10.0 would be the best choice.
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm
by slider_keeper
Kansasslider I agree with you. Sliders are basking turtles that bask in areas unobstructed from the sun (logs, beaches, so on). They expose themselves to direct UV rays from the sun. To be honest there isn't a bulb out there that can produce what the sun does. But don't try to compensate by putting your UV bulb too close to your turtles. Follow the recommended height lengths.
Re: life span of Exo Terra UVA/UVB bulb

Posted:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:37 pm
by apondfortimmy
.... this reminds me that it's just about time to get new bulbs for my tanks.