Page 1 of 1
Never do water changes?

Posted:
Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 am
by Redears2
I saw a vid on YouTube about how not change the water by hooking up a drip system but the guy had a well where he got the water from for his house so he hooked into the pump fittings that was already there.
I'm wondering does anyone know how or where to hook into if you get city water pumped into your house?
HELP!
Re: Never do water changes?

Posted:
Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:13 am
by captiancripple13
I believe, that if you don't have a water pump, which would be in your basement, that you would have to connect to a sink. So, if you live in an apartment or someplace where you don;t have access to the water pump then you will have to do it through a sink. This can be very impractical. Also, the guy you saw on youtube, which is UaroJoey (Or something like that) the King of DIY, he doesn't care for turtles, he strictly deals with freshwater fish. I have reservations over whether this would actually work with turtles because they are so messy. With turtles you have to vacuum up all of the crap that they leave on the bottom. Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you.
Re: Never do water changes?

Posted:
Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm
by VeipaCray
I do automated water changes on my planted tank - see the build thread link in my signature if you're interested. I've plumbed incoming water through a solenoid that's controlled by a digital aquatics aquarium controller and a float switch. For removing water, the same controller runs a pump that is plumbed to a drain.
Re: Never do water changes?

Posted:
Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm
by Redears2
captiancripple13 wrote:I believe, that if you don't have a water pump, which would be in your basement, that you would have to connect to a sink. So, if you live in an apartment or someplace where you don;t have access to the water pump then you will have to do it through a sink. This can be very impractical. Also, the guy you saw on youtube, which is UaroJoey (Or something like that) the King of DIY, he doesn't care for turtles, he strictly deals with freshwater fish. I have reservations over whether this would actually work with turtles because they are so messy. With turtles you have to vacuum up all of the crap that they leave on the bottom. Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you.
its cool, my turtles dont leave a big mess like that tho for some reason i only got one lump from them in two to three months i dont really over feed them either they get between 5 shrimp, 5 balls of turtle food and some greens like cabage or lettuce (spelling) but now i uped it to 10-5 of shrimp and balls i also give them live feeder fish every friday. well if i hook it up and it works i will definatly post here the info.
Re: Never do water changes?

Posted:
Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 pm
by theartbook35
I recommend getting a "gravel vac" and using that to suck up the turtle poo and food particles. This way, you will do a minimal water change, without changing too much water. For turtles, which are river dwelling (as well as lakes and ponds), the water would be naturally circulated and changed in the wild, but in captivity, the dirt, and pH from the turtle pee will just accumulate.
For feeding, make sure the amount is equivalent to the inside of your turtles' heads. If you are giving lettuce, then give the lettuce only, one piece per turtle, which should be no more that a couple of inches big if they are over the four inch shell mark. I have found that even if my 8 1/2 inch turtle gets more than a three inch piece of lettuce, especially with a protein, she'll throw it up. They stomachs are very small.