Habitat - Indoor :: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 am   Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Found eggcrate.
Grabbed my largest flathead screwdriver and my hammer.
Measured it twice.
Went to work cutting it down to size.
Tried sticking it into the tank. It was too big in spots and got all bendy.
Removed it and ticked off the edges that were too long.
Put it back into the tank. Cut my thumb. Now only using one hand.
Still too big. Tried breaking the bits off by hand. Got to the second one and cut my finger.

The finger wound didn't stop bleeding for a long time, and I don't handle the sight of blood well, so that did me in for the night. I'll be taking the whole thing back out tomorrow and going at it with my cat-claw-sander dremel thing.

Gah. Blood everywhere. Managed to keep it out of the tank and mostly on a towel.

Stupid eggcrate.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:35 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Good Land! I hope you'll be ok. The things we do for the love of our turtles.... ;)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

i always cut myself when i'm removing the hard backing of the cuttlebone. the cuttlebone piece became dark red due to the blood. dumbork stared at me as if saying, "so what? it's just blood". hope you'll be fine. :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
User avatar
dumbork14
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Jun 18, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Oh dear. Two people with turtle love injuries. ;)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

I have good news and bad news.

Bad news: the cut on my finger is still open and gross, and I've gotten turtle water into it on a dozen occasions today as I worked on various projects, so I've got it neosporined like mad and bandaided up once again.

Good news: my husband went to $homeimprovementstore to return some items from our dishwasher fiasco and found we had store credit from two years ago! SO HE BOUGHT ME A DREMEL 3000! HOT DOG!
So I got the projects done without further injury AND with a greater success rate than before.

Mmm, dremel.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Yay dremel! Not so good with the turtle water. I hope you have some perioxide or rubbing alcohol to clean it out.
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:45 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Wait lol, How did you cut yourself so bad on the tank or eggcrate O.o
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:42 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

On the sharp corners of the poorly-cut eggcrate. :\
Learned my lesson to not do things in a hurry or get angry with stuff. I'm just glad it was me who found the sharp edge and not my turtle.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:29 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Flush cut wire cutters work really well on the egg crate, no little plastic bits to collect afterward, and no sharp edges.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:07 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

PridgNYC wrote:Flush cut wire cutters work really well on the egg crate, no little plastic bits to collect afterward, and no sharp edges.


That's a good tip! I have little pieces flinging all over the place when I cut pieces of eggcrate out.
1 YBS ~ Squirtle
4 Mini Doxies ~ Pebbles, Sam, Donut & Rosco
2 Snails ~ Bluey and Jerry
User avatar
sweety10189110
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Jul 2, 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 pm   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Yeah, that's ... that's a really good bit to know. I had to make the kids wear goggles when they were watching me because it was shooting all over the place.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

There's a youtube video of a guy making stuff for his turtles and he had a super quick way of cutting through egg crate. Anyway, sorry you got cut.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

steve wrote:There's a youtube video of a guy making stuff for his turtles and he had a super quick way of cutting through egg crate. Anyway, sorry you got cut.


This is probably the video. As i watched this and did it the same way.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQDepqFLpF4[/youtube]
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

Neat.
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
User avatar
cutepanda86
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Feb 24, 2012
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am   Re: Yay Eggcrate! Or: Oh Look, I'm Bleeding.

aishhhh... take care mam...
User avatar
mukyo
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Aug 8, 2012
Location: Sgp

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests