Page 1 of 2

Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:53 pm
by AirFarceLive
SO, I've been setting up my tank and so far it looks great! But, I've got a big problem! :(
I am using a nice driftwood as a basking area but it has white stuff growing on it, I tried putting it in hot water, cleaning it with a tooth brush, it comes off but two days later it's back!
Need help!
Could someone help me think of a way to get rid of it, or can someone even tell me if it's harmfull at all for the turtle!

Please answer as soon as possible because I am getting my turtle in a WEEK!

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm
by VeipaCray
Could you post a picture?

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:56 am
by AirFarceLive
16 hours after hot water bath and long brush with tooth brush :
http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/AirFarceLive/?action=view&current=001-3.jpg

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:46 pm
by steve
Is it fuzzy looking?

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:14 pm
by AirFarceLive
Yeah! Yet, when I touch it acts like clay.
Also if I leave it for 3-5 days it starts becoming green!
What is it?

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 pm
by steve
That's weird. It sometimes get a little mildew around the water line, where there is some algae. This end is submerged in the tank?

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:31 pm
by AirFarceLive
No not really, only about half way... or maybe one third is in the water.

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 pm
by AirFarceLive
But right now it's completly out of water, and still grows back on!

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 pm
by VeipaCray
could be water that's transferred from your turtle climbing on and off or your turtle splashing???

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:14 pm
by AirFarceLive
Not sure... I'll leave it for a while and see what happens!

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 am
by penelope
How long have you had it?
Did it come from nature or a store?
I've used both in the past - if from a store, I'd return it post haste. It wasn't cured properly.
If from nature, it would depend on where it came from.
When I had Jack, I got one from the beach - it leached ocean "crud" and got soggy real fast. I am guessing because it it had been living in and out of water for a long time as the tides came and went.
I tried another one I found in the woods. Tried to dry it out it, but didn't work. It grew moss, and got soggy too.
I also recall some bunk firewood I got a few years ago. It wasn't seasoned properly (still wet deep inside), the ones at the bottom of the pile sat for awhile and eventually grew moss and white-ish mold.
That's the extent of my wood knowledge.
Bottom line - if it were me, I would either toss it or get my money back. It's a problem with the wood, plain and simple.
Do you really want to deal and worry about it on an ongoing basis? (rhetorical)

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 am
by AirFarceLive
First, I have it since like one year, second I got it from the beach of lake Ontario but it started growing the white stuff after I had cut it into size only on the side I have cut out. :o
It seems so far perfect, by that I mean it stoped growing and just stays there, I'll try to keep up for about 2-3 months because I am getting a bigger tank so I'll be throwing it out! It is also hard and it's not soggy. :P
I fell lucky that it stayed dried up for one year before I used it because now it's not wet inside! :wink:

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 pm
by AirFarceLive
could I get a response please? lol

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 pm
by steve
Take it out and scrub it when it gets like that. Maybe try to position the filter output near it to create additional circulation.

Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 pm
by AirFarceLive
alright! Anyway in a month I am getting my bigger aquarium... about 35 gallons, so I will probably get a new basking area. BUT I've got onething in mind... never get driftwood from the wild only store!