Habitat - Indoor :: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:53 pm   Need help! My basking area has a problem!

SO, I've been setting up my tank and so far it looks great! But, I've got a big problem! :(
I am using a nice driftwood as a basking area but it has white stuff growing on it, I tried putting it in hot water, cleaning it with a tooth brush, it comes off but two days later it's back!
Need help!
Could someone help me think of a way to get rid of it, or can someone even tell me if it's harmfull at all for the turtle!

Please answer as soon as possible because I am getting my turtle in a WEEK!
Last edited by AirFarceLive on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Could you post a picture?
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:56 am   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

16 hours after hot water bath and long brush with tooth brush :
http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh558/AirFarceLive/?action=view&current=001-3.jpg
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:46 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Is it fuzzy looking?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:14 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Yeah! Yet, when I touch it acts like clay.
Also if I leave it for 3-5 days it starts becoming green!
What is it?
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

That's weird. It sometimes get a little mildew around the water line, where there is some algae. This end is submerged in the tank?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:31 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

No not really, only about half way... or maybe one third is in the water.
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

But right now it's completly out of water, and still grows back on!
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

could be water that's transferred from your turtle climbing on and off or your turtle splashing???
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:14 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Not sure... I'll leave it for a while and see what happens!
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 am   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

How long have you had it?
Did it come from nature or a store?
I've used both in the past - if from a store, I'd return it post haste. It wasn't cured properly.
If from nature, it would depend on where it came from.
When I had Jack, I got one from the beach - it leached ocean "crud" and got soggy real fast. I am guessing because it it had been living in and out of water for a long time as the tides came and went.
I tried another one I found in the woods. Tried to dry it out it, but didn't work. It grew moss, and got soggy too.
I also recall some bunk firewood I got a few years ago. It wasn't seasoned properly (still wet deep inside), the ones at the bottom of the pile sat for awhile and eventually grew moss and white-ish mold.
That's the extent of my wood knowledge.
Bottom line - if it were me, I would either toss it or get my money back. It's a problem with the wood, plain and simple.
Do you really want to deal and worry about it on an ongoing basis? (rhetorical)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 am   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

First, I have it since like one year, second I got it from the beach of lake Ontario but it started growing the white stuff after I had cut it into size only on the side I have cut out. :o
It seems so far perfect, by that I mean it stoped growing and just stays there, I'll try to keep up for about 2-3 months because I am getting a bigger tank so I'll be throwing it out! It is also hard and it's not soggy. :P
I fell lucky that it stayed dried up for one year before I used it because now it's not wet inside! :wink:
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

could I get a response please? lol
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

Take it out and scrub it when it gets like that. Maybe try to position the filter output near it to create additional circulation.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 pm   Re: Need help! My basking area has a problem!

alright! Anyway in a month I am getting my bigger aquarium... about 35 gallons, so I will probably get a new basking area. BUT I've got onething in mind... never get driftwood from the wild only store!
One Red Eared Slider (Compass) Really Happy!
3 Guppies (Curently mating/Pregnant!)
One 13 year old (Currently wrote this, and for ever!)
User avatar
AirFarceLive
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests