Habitat - Indoor :: Help with setting up a stock tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 pm   Help with setting up a stock tank

I'm getting my adult RES a 150 gallon stock tank. What type of plants are safe to put in it and should I put sand in the bottom? Also, would I have to build something to hold her regular light or are 2 basking lights enough? And is it safe to put a heater in it(it won't melt it or anything right)?
Bubbles8
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 29, 2012

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:09 am   Re: Help with setting up a stock tank

There is an aquatic plant list here: http://redearslider.com/plants.html

I've thought about using sand in my stock tank, I will probably try it over the summer. Rubbermaid stock tanks are black/dark grey so it's hard to see the bottom. The sand will make it easier to see inside. A heater is totally fine, Ebo jagers are very reliable. Some filters can hold or attach heaters to them, so that's an option.

The lighting situation depends on your setup. You only need one light per basking area.

*edit - sand comment*
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm   Re: Help with setting up a stock tank

Steve - sand adds quite a bit of surface area for the nitrifying bacteria and is a great way to expand your bio filter.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:06 pm   Re: Help with setting up a stock tank

I edited my post... I think sand is a good idea as a bare stock tank is fairly dark inside. Great to know about the bacteria, I'm looking forward to trying it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 105 guests