What is the best filter to use?

Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 pm
by kimmy89
I'm planning on buying my RES a 300 gallon stock tank, so I also need to get a new filter. I'm considering the fluval FX5 but I've heard that it has some issues. Should I just go with that one or can you recommend me any other filter that would be good?
Re: What is the best filter to use?

Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 pm
by steve
I would go with the FX5... what kind of issues have you heard? If it's a fully stocked tank or you have multiple RES, you might want to consider a pond filter.
Re: What is the best filter to use?

Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:21 pm
by VeipaCray
The fluval FX5 is probably the best off-the-shelf canister filter you can get for a turtle. There are many of us on this forum that have one. However, 300Gallons of water is a stretch for a single FX5 and a larger turtle. 150-200 gallons would be the upper bound of what a single FX5 could process. To go bigger, you're looking at pond filters or a pair of FX5's.
This may help...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145