Habitat - Indoor :: New filter needed

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:16 pm   New filter needed

Hello everyone,

I currently have a fluval U4 filter with two red eared silders in a 75 gallon tank; I already know I need a bigger tank but I cant get one right now cause of no room. However I do want a better filtering system.

So my question is; what is the best filtering system I can get without having to clean out the tank all the time? I don't care about the price but I do want it too be realistic, is it possible to set it up so I NEVER have too clean it or clean it like once every few months?

thanks
xewkija6
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 17, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 pm   Re: New filter needed

Yeah Fluval FX5. See the link to my build thread in my signature.

The FX5 bang for the buck is one of the best filters you can get for a turtle. They are available online for $180-$200 USD and figure another $30 or so for media. I have a FX5 on my 75 gallon tank and while there's no mechanical filter that can go forever without cleaning, the FX5 can go for a few months if you set it up correctly.

How to setup a FX5: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28206

There are a few others on here with FX5's... PridgNYC has a FX5 on his 75G tank. Electricturtle has one too. If you search for FX5 on this forum, you'll come up with lots to read.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm   Re: New filter needed

Oh and welcome to the forum.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:29 pm   Re: New filter needed

Thanks a lot VeipaCray I will definitely look into that and check it out on amazon or something; do the local pet stores carry them? also whats the biggest tank this filter can handle?

Nice setup as well
xewkija6
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 17, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:21 pm   Re: New filter needed

Welcome to the site. It's rated for "...freshwater or marine aquariums up to 400 gallons", so using the "3x formula" it is suitable 150 gallons of turtle water. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288910

Local stores will carry them but it will be way more expensive. Filters, heaters and media are usually much cheaper online.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:16 pm   Re: New filter needed

I can attest to the fact that the FX5 is an awesome filter for a 75 gallon. Mine has been running trouble free (without cleaning) since the end of August, almost 4 months now with no maintenance. Not really sure how you know when it is time to clean it, as it is still working perfectly, maybe I should just do it on a schedule (whether it needs it or not). I used VeipaCray's media recommendations in the filter thread.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16 am   Re: New filter needed

@PridgNYC - yeah if you used purigen, it's flow is still good, and your water parameters are still 0 ammoina, 0 nitrite... then you don't really need to clean it. If you used carbon, then you need to open the filter monthly to replace the carbon. I do mine monthly out of habit. It's a workhorse of a filter.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests