Habitat - Indoor :: Artificial Plants

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 pm   Artificial Plants

So for those of you who use fake plants... Does silk or plastic look better in the tank? Are either safe, meaning will my turtle eat them and get sick? I also saw where someone got plants with suction cups on the bottom. If you have those and read this, where did you get them? If I can't find them, can I glue my own suction cups on a plant with something safe for an aquarium?
1 RES: Angelina
1 Beta: Simon (really Simon #2 but my daughter doesn't know Simon #1 died)
1 Miniature Schnauzer: Sugar
Mom2RES
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 am   Re: Artificial Plants

I personally prefer silk. I love the silk plants I bought on amazon, the brand is vibran-sea. I attach a suction cup about a third of the way up the plant with a couple zip ties.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 pm   Re: Artificial Plants

I use plastic plants and they look great:D.
The ones I use come with weighted bottoms, but some plants use a hollow bottom so you can fill it with sand to weight it down.
My turtle never ate any of my plastic plants. I've seen him take a bite once, but stopped ever since.

I've heard bad things about silk plants like algae growing on it, but I've never used one personally.

Here's a suction cup plant: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/9565/product.web
They're not too common.

As for which is better? You can try a local pet store to see them in use. They should have aquarium displays.

Lastly for gluing there's aquarium safe silicone, but i don't know specifics or how to use it.
Turk
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Aug 13, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am   Re: Artificial Plants

Id go with silk, jsut the fact those can take a bit but yes like Turk stated i found they do grow algae on them. Plastic some turtles will shred plastic plants if they want. Obviously eating plastic is never a good thing but they can take apart the silk plants too with really good effort. So really you just have to be sure your turtle isnt bothering with them. If they leave them go then hey you got a nice addition to your tank.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests