Habitat - Indoor :: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:14 pm   Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Hi,
I recently re-created a nice basking platform for my 9" red-eared slider. She hadn't had a basking area for several years - my neglect or feeling like she didn't need it - but then she started to get shell rot and other things - puffy eyes - and the vet said I must give her a proper basking area.

THE PROBLEM: In my cabinet of 'unused' parts, I had this big bulb - all it says on it is 160 Watt/120 volt Active UV Heat. Nothing more. No brand name, nothing.
I zip-tied it and clamped it to a pole I had around - and plugged the bulb into the Zoo-Med black 'fixture' that says it's good for 250 watts.. so that's not an issue.
The bulb works fine... it seems.

My issue is how far above the basking platform do I position this exact bulb - a 160 Watt Active UV Heat bulb.

I don't know if it was EVER used very much, so it's probably in fairly 'unused' condition.

Given that I just spent a FORTUNE setting up another turtle tank to separate the male from this large female, I can't afford to NOT use the bulb if I can avoid buying a mercury vapor bulb or something just as expensive (like the zoo-med mini double dome I put above the male's tank with appropriate lighting).

So - if someone can give me guidelines - or an exact answer - I'd be in your debt.

Right now the 'tip' of the bulb to the top of the basking platform is 16"

I don't know if that's close enough or too close. It doesn't 'feel' that warm under there to me... but that's not exactly scientific.

Please advise or refer me to someone who would know.

I saw a lighting thread under General Care, but there was no way I could see to post a new thread to that thread. Not sure why. So sorry if this is misposted - please don't delete it - if you can move it to the appropriate place, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

This bulb is purely for heat, no UVB output right? If it's just a heat bulb you have to base the distance on the temperature of the basking area...
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:14 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Ummm. Why would it say Active UV heat if there was no UV coming from it....so that doesn't make much sense unless I'm missing something. And I don't know the 'temp. of the basking area' besides that. But I'm fairly sure it says UV because these give off a lot of UV B.
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

I didn't say there was no UV...

There is UV, UVA and UVB. Like a blacklight produces UV light, not UVB. If it doesn't specifically say UVB then it doesn't produce it... I that case it is basically only useful for the heat. UVB is a specific range of frequencies.

The temperature of the basking area is important...
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:52 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Plus any light that produces UVB needs to be replaced every 6 months or so, if it is used there is no way to tell if it is still producing adequate amounts of UVB inless you have a UVB sensor...
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

So what is my best option for replacing this bulb, since I don't want to start in with buying another mini double dome. A new mercury vapor bulb because that covers everything? I think you are correct, by the way, and I didn't mean to sound critical because I know NOTHING. But it does just say UV - so I guess there's a high likelihood that it's just UV. Unless using the phrase 'active UV heat' means something more than just UV. I guess I'll have to type it into Google and see what the consensus is.
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:41 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Here is what my buddy VeipaCray said to me in a PM about this - who had been helping me with the media setup for my new Rena XP3 that I had to buy... this person has 1848 posts and I gather is very well informed and educated...

"so if it's an active UV bulb, it's putting out UVA, UVB and heat. What we don't know is what wavelength of UVB it's putting out (peak). Turtle / reptile bulbs have a specific wavelength."

So there seems to be some confusion about WHAT exactly an 'active uv heat' bulb is....
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Here is a totally random thread I picked out from google - from 2005 - which is exactly when I bought this bulb - so it's pretty close to being a MVB
I'm not sure what the current thinking is - probably the best way to find out is to ask Drs. Foster & Smith, who seem to know what they're talking about and probably carry both or know the evolution of both.
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

I use one of these for UVB
http://www.amazon.com/Repti-Glo-Compact ... 336&sr=8-2
or...
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun% ... 415&sr=8-3

I am not sure what the double dome action is. I have 2 of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Dome-Rept ... 452&sr=1-1

The second dome has a regular 60 watt bulb for heat.

I have never used the mercury vapor bulb, so no opinion there :)

Hey if Veipa says that he's probably right! He tends to know what he's talking about. I had never heard of 'active uv'.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Look down at the second product up from the bottom of this page:

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/Searc ... Search.y=0

NEW!
Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture
Two fixtures in one for maximum convenience! The dual fixture allows for one Basking Spot Lamp or 100 W PowerSun™ UV Lamp and one Nightlight Heat Lamp...
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Oh cool, those bulbs I mentioned earlier should fit in there.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Yes, but i don't want to have to buy ANOTHER one of these double dome things - I was trying to use the single dome I have that has this mysterious active uv heat lamp in it now - and the only single bulb solution that I know of is a mercury vapor bulb. So that's what I'm researching. Those double dome things aren't cheap.
peretzmatthew
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sep 15, 2011
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:42 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

Oh gotcha, I thought for sure the dome I bought was only like 15 bucks. If you already have one single dome... you wouldn't need another double one right? lol...I'm confused.
I am going on hour 11 of my extremely boring work day, this thread did help pass the time!
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 pm   Re: Don't know placement of Active UV Heat 160Watt

You don't have to buy a double dome. Just get two clamp on lights at the hardware store. Put a regular incandescent light bulb in one and a UVB specific coil light in the other. As happycaamper has said the temps of the basking area will determine what watt you use. Make sure you read the directions on the UVB bulb in case there is a burn in period and for the proper distance from the basking area. The only other option is a mercury vapor bulb. They can be touchy and a little on the expensive side. Some of them burn out if around two much vibration or being turned off and on to quickly.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests