Habitat - Indoor :: Cork Board Dock?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 am   Cork Board Dock?

So I was planning on making a Cork Board dock for the 55 gallon tank. If you look on this thread, you can scroll down on the first page and see the pictures of it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28967&hilit=buildup

So my question is... would I need to get something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Bulletin- ... B000BOBWRA

I can't find one that doesn't have either a border, backing, or adhesive on it. Can anyone help?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 am   Re: Cork Board Dock?

I wonder what you would use to support the cork board because it's flimsy. Most craft stores sell cork board really cheap.
3 RES- Sajko, Lajzi, and Nacho
2 Kitty Cats- Lolcat and Bear
User avatar
Kurtni
 
Posts: 234
Joined: May 17, 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:49 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

The guy said he made the top 2 layers longer so itd fit in the groove in the top of the tank. And a lot of silicon. I'm guessing that would be sturdy?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

It would be sturdy for a small turtle I'm sure. I know my adult turtles would probably tear it in the middle though. If you silicon it onto the rim I wonder how easy it would be to get off when you needed something for a larger turtle. Maybe you could just put some kind of brace in the middle if it's a problem in the future?
3 RES- Sajko, Lajzi, and Nacho
2 Kitty Cats- Lolcat and Bear
User avatar
Kurtni
 
Posts: 234
Joined: May 17, 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

yeah possible metal rulers between each top layer. I mean, it wouldnt be hard to rig it to be sturdier. And he didnt silicon it to the rim. It just sits there.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:46 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

would anyone have any ideas?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

I remember that thread clearly. I don't know how well it is holding up to at this point, so it might not be a good idea. A nice, natural piece of cork bark will last a few years and there is very little effort in preparing them.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:02 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

well the problem is, its practically impossible to find a piece of cork bark around 12" long.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:11 pm   Re: Cork Board Dock?

Well besides the ZooMed Cork Bark Flats. I guess I'll go with them.. Should I get the Large, or Extra Large? A review on the large piece of bark said it was about 16 x 10 which would be perfect for what I'd want it for, but as everyone knows, not every piece is the same. The extra large is twice the price of the large on Amazon... Should I play it safe and go for the XL? or try the cheaper piece and if its not the right size, then find something (rocks?) to wedge it in?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am   Re: Cork Board Dock?

Personally, I would go with the extra large, you can always cut it down, you can't make it larger. I was actually thinking of ordering a few pieces from amazon, because you never really know what you will get, and I can always return what I don't use.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 am   Re: Cork Board Dock?

Yeah thats what my idea was. I was going to order 2 large pieces (8 dollars a piece) instead of 1 extra large piece (24 dollars). And return what wont work.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 120 guests