Habitat - Indoor :: Suggested lighting for 40 gallon tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:57 pm   Suggested lighting for 40 gallon tank?

Hello all,

This is my first post after reading the site for about a month or so.

Quick back story- Over the summer my girlfriend's RES (Cold rice) was having problems with her shell, as it was covered in algae. I went to the trusty internets looking for how to make her better, and found this site. Since then I have learned a ton about taking care of a RES, and as a result Cold Rice is much happier now!

Anyways, my question is about lighting for a 40 gallon breeder, which is what cold rice is currently living in. I was looking online and purchased a 160w sunglo MVB, and didn't realize until it was shipped that it was WAY too powerful for my current set up.

So, I was wondering what people would suggest for a 40 gallon tank. Currently i have one lamp with a regular bulb, and now feel like the best option is to buy a second lamp for a uvb lamp...I was also wondering if there are any combo-fixtures that could hold both a uva/heat lamp as well as a uvb lamp.

Thanks!
Coldrice
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 30, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm   Re: Suggested lighting for 40 gallon tank?

This is a dual dome fixture if you want separate UVB and heat lamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Combo-Fix ... B003F6XW56

The twisty style CFL UVB;s work well. Just get one of the 5.0's.

The MVB bulbs are strong and it depends on distance from the basking platform. I prefer the MVB's myself and use the smaller powersun MVB in my setup.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests