Habitat - Indoor :: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 am   Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

So I ordered an Eheim Jager to keep Tesla's water warmer. I followed the 3-5 watts per gallon rule and ordered a 300 Watt one. I got it today and apparently it is too tall for Tesla's tank and even if I filled it up some of the glass would be exposed (see pic). Apparently I am silly and didn't see that they had dimensions on the Eheim website. -.-;;
Image
(Also, yes, I know my filter sucks and I probably need to give him more water. I am working on building him an ATBA and a lid to keep him from getting out when I raise the water level. I am just providing what I can until I get all the necessary upgrades.)

I am definitely going to return it because I am pretty sure it won't work for Tesla since I have read exposed glass is bad. My question is this: What wattage should I get in the Eheim Jager for a 55 gallon tank? I need one that will cover all the glass, I know. My other question is that this one was rated for a 300 gallon tank and they have ones rated for 50. Would those not be enough to keep Tesla's water in the correct range? I followed the wattage rule, but the lines aren't connecting in my brain. Please help me.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am   Re: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

Heater ratings are goofy. It really depends on how many degrees you need to heat the water over the ambient air temperature. So if in the winter the air temperature in your house is 70 degrees, and you want the tank to be 77 degrees... you need a heater that can raise the temp +7 degrees for the volume of water in your tank. Some really smart engineer could tell us the exact minimum wattage you need. I can't. From my experience, any 150 watt or greater heater will get the job done on a 55G tank. A 150 watt heater will need to run longer to get the water heated vs. a 300 watt... but it will still get the job done.

Also... those eheim heaters can be fully submerged in the water. You can lay it sideways if that helps you at all.


So the electrical engineer major has issues with power strips and electric heating elements... it's not to late to go pre-med or go to law school. Just kidding. :D *hug*
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 am   Re: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

Hmm, okay. So you think I should just keep it? I mean it SAYS it should be in the tank vertically, but ya know with those types of things. ;P The only thing that concerns me is that it might be near the top of the tank if I do it horizontally, will that affect the heat circulated in the tank? I figured it would be fine if I use my filter to help do that. Also, how much of the cord itself can be submerged? I am aware of electrical safety issues, so it makes me a little nervous dealing with submersible electric things.

Also, hahahaha. Like I said, I am still learning (don't have a degree yet ya know). ;)
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am   Re: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

Actually, nevermind. Reading a lot more online about people who use these horizontally. I think I will keep it.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 am   Re: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

as long as no part of the glass below that water level line is exposed you're fine. the filter will circulate the heat as will the movement of your turtle in the water.

Just be careful if you put it horizontally that 1> the water doesn't drop and expose the glass and 2> your turtle doesn't mess with it too much.

The cord can be submerged as much as you need. Just make sure there's a drip loop outside the tank. The part where the cord enters the top of the heater is sealed so it doesn't really matter how much of the cord itself is in the water. Obviously you don't want 2 feet of it coiled in there. You want the minimum amount in the water to allow your heater to be placed where you need it. Remember your turtle can and will probably chew on the cord. You might need to put a little guard around the cord if you notice your turt nom noming the cord. (cheap small diameter pvc around the cord would protect it).
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am   Re: Eheim Jager - Bought the wrong one? (HELP)

Alright then, I'll work on that. Need to make a trip to Lowes.
Thanks! :)
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
User avatar
ElectricTurtle
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Jul 24, 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests