Page 1 of 2

Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm
by happycamper
I am thinking about purchasing 100 gallon aquarium, It comes with a stand, filter, it said something about lights, and gravel which I don't want... All of that for 300 bucks, that seem like a good deal?

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 pm
by happycamper

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 pm
by VeipaCray
it really depends on pricing in your area. $300 for a 100 gallon, stand, and working canister filter is a good deal in Chicago. You'd have to see the condition of the glass, the rims, and the stand to make a determination on how good the deal is. Also, I'd make the seller fill the tank a little and leak test it in front of you. Maybe not all 100 gallons, but an inch or two should tell you if the bottom silicone is leaking or not.

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 pm
by happycamper
He reduced the price to $260, including delivery. Filtration system is under gravel so it is of no use to me. I told the guy that he had to fill it upon arrival and show me that it would hold water before I would buy it. He is going to send me pictures of it tonight, I asked him about the seals he said they were in good shape... Think I'm going to buy it, I rarely see hundred gallon tanks in Boise on craigslist. Maybe if I just got another fluval 405 and installed on the other end it would do the trick...

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 pm
by VeipaCray
that does seem like a good deal esp if he's delivering. 100 gallon tanks are heavy. The fluval 405 is around the same price as the XP4. You'd be better off with the XP4. Heck, the XP3 is a better filter than the 405.

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:45 am
by happycamper
Alright, I'll look into that. I know you're the filtration guru... :wink:

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 am
by VeipaCray
Just to compare a bit...

Rena has a stronger pump which means more turnover of your tank volume = better filtration.
Fluval 405 = 340 gallons per hour
Rena XP4 = 450 gallons per hour

Fluval = water can bypass the media
Rena = no bypass... water MUST pass through the media
The no bypass is the more effective filtration.

Online prices
Fluval 150
XP4 180
The XP4 comes with media which makes the prices about equal.

However! (there's always a however) The Fluval FX5 is the king of turtle filters. It will eat the XP4 for lunch and come back for seconds. You can physically put the XP4 filter INSIDE the FX5. The FX5 is $200 online. It does take about $40 to fill it with media ('cause it's HUGE) so all in for a FX5 is like 240. BUT... you clean it less frequently.

405 $150 + 20ish in media = 170
XP4 $180
FX5 $200 + 40 in media = 240

Between the 405 and the XP4... the XP4 is a no brainer. The question becomes do you want to kick in the extra to get the FX5?

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 am
by happycamper
I think an extra $60 is worth paying if it's going to save me cleaning later. It's been a while since I transferred tanks, I wonder if I did just have the 405 on the hundred gallon for a month or two until I save up money for the fx5 if it would get too icky...

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:17 am
by VeipaCray
You'll be ok. Your turtle isn't changing in size so the volume of waste isn't changing. The waste is just dissipated across more water so the filter has to work harder (process a greater volume) to keep it as clean. Because the 405 is a bypass system, it doesn't filter all of the water it sucks in. So slowly the filter falls behind in it's duties as waste levels build in the larger water volume. For a month or two... no big deal, just keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

Also... the single FX5 will handle that 100G tank without breaking a sweat. You could always sell your 405 to make up some of the $60 price difference. You definitely don't need the 405 AND the FX5 to clean a 100G tank.

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 pm
by happycamper
Alright, thanks for the info!

Now I just need to figure out how the heck to fit this thing in my living room!

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm
by VeipaCray
happycamper wrote:Alright, thanks for the info!

Now I just need to figure out how the heck to fit this thing in my living room!



Shoehorn?

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am
by happycamper
Image

That is a lot of glass in my living room! ... No shoehorn necessary thank God

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:20 am
by VeipaCray
Well that looks nice. Good find. Can't wait too see your build thread.

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 am
by sflemin2
Thats gonna be one happy turtle!

Re: Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am
by Love of Animals
Awesome! As sflemin2 said that is going to be one happy turtle.