Page 1 of 1
Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:13 pm
by Sora
Hey, I was wondering, would it be alright if I added medium-large sized pebbles(about the size of a US dollar coin) to my tank. Because I already have large river stones, but the tank seems bare and not very lively. I'm not sure if Sora can fit them into her mouth(though I'm sure she'll try), but I'm fairly confident she can't swallow them.
What do you guys think? Good Idea?Bad Idea?

Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm
by happycamper
If you're not sure if they can fit in her mouth then I wouldn't risk it. What about sand?
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:12 pm
by Sora
I would love to have sand, but my filter would most likely suck it up, because it takes in even large particles to keep the water clean. Besides, I'm not sure my pet store carries turtle safe sand(they're kinda behind). Maybe I should buy plants to liven the tank?(Real and Fake)
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm
by steve
Just up the size a little, make sure the pebbles are at least the size of her head.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm
by Sora
Okay. The smallest ones are the size of her front legs( I don't use those ones). I have to go to the pet store tomorrow anyway, I'll check it out. Thanks

Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 am
by Ranger The Red Ear Slider
If your turtle is able to fit the rock in his mouth he is able to eat it or choke on it.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:54 pm
by Sora
So, I go to the pet store today, and when I look for the rocks I wanted, they didn't have any left!

They only had rocks that are really meant for fish and newts/frogs.

Those are the only ones they have they say, and that its a variety of sizes and colours. They just scoop them up and charge by the pound.
I really don't like my pet store, and the fact that they're one of the only two we have is annoying.
(It's really a store for birds and rabbits, but they've started doing fish as well.)
So I guess no pebbles for Sora

.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 pm
by Ranger The Red Ear Slider
I had those exact same rocks for my Aquarium, he ended up eating them and I had to take him to the vet. I wouldn't use those, even the large ones I saw were kinda soft and would break in half after some time.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 pm
by happycamper
Are you sure sand would be a problem? I have sand, and a pretty good canister filter, I have never had any issues... (knock on wood)
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:29 pm
by Sora
Well, i'll have to ask the pet store guy wether or not the sand they carry is okay for turtles, cause it doesn't look very heavy. I'm afraid that if Sora kicks the sand up, that it would get sucked right up into the filter(its above water with a stick in the water that sucks in particles and stuff, then recycles it back in a waterfall like fashion(its a Whisper filter).
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 am
by Justin3344
I i think you can use the sand from homedepot or lowes. Search around you will find a thread for sand. So it don't have to be from pet store. it pretty cheap.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:30 am
by steve
Sora is in Bermuda, so I don't know if they have those stores. However, there should be some local hardware stores for sand. And a lot of places sell river rock. Check florists and floral sections in big box stores.
Re: Pebbles? or no pebbles?

Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:07 am
by Love of Animals
Also, Sora think twice about information you get from pet store employees. They are often wrong. And some of their advice is dangerous. If you have questions post a topic before your trip to the pet store. You'll get more reliable information here.