Habitat - Indoor :: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm   When to replace my UVB bulb?

I was wondering when should I replace my UVB? I have his lights on from 7:30 AM (sunrise) to 8:00 (sunset) Is that too long? I bought his bulb around August last year which we aren't too far from now. I noticed the white part where you screw it into is starting to turn yellow/brownish I guessing thats from the heat but is that a sign of it being in need of a replacement?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Without a UVB meter, there's probably no way to tell with any certainty. You might check the manufacturer specs of the bulb or on the net and see if anywhere is published the useful lifespan of the bulb. Yellowish/brownish around the base is probably heat discoloration.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

I thought I read that the UVB rays only lasted for 6 months---even though the thing still gives out light.
~and 3 rescued cats
Miss Tee
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
Location: Philly, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 pm   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

6 months? Dang I really need a new bulb. I have a Exo Tera 5.0 bulb.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

@Miss Tee - Yes, you are correct.

@Ranger - I would probably replace an ExoTerra bulb slightly more frequently than 6 months. They are just not very strong bulbs.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

What other bulbs can I buy?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

You can use the Exo Terra, but you'll probably have to replace it 2-3 times a year.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Yeah the bulbs are 20 bucks each 40-60 dollars a year is a lot when I can spend something a little less or the same for just one bulb? How much do those MVB bulbs cost? And what are some other good UVB bulbs I can use, not strips. Also I read the box and it says replace it yearly?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

I think those Exo Terra CFLs are the cheapest ones out there, around $12-15. Reptisun CFLs cost around $20. A MVB starts around $40.

To be certain, you need a meter to see how much UVB output there is, and those cost around $200. When they say replace yearly, it depends on how long you have it on (total hours).
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Steve, how often do you change your MVB? I don't have a meter yet to measure it's output.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

I think you can build a cheap uv meter to check and estimate your uv output of the lamp. Don't know does it work but it does tell you does your bulb still emitting UVB or not.

1.Buy a uv bead from eBay for like a dollar or less.
2.Get and timer or stop watch.
3 Get a new UVB bulb.

First check it with the new bulb and see how fast the UVB bead change color, and how colorful does it get.
Second check it with the old bulb at the same distance. And check the time again.

If the bead change color that mean it still emitting UVB.
I think you can guess how strong is the UVB emitting from the bulb.
Bao Bao & Bei Bei
Justin3344
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 22, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:02 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Not an exact science, but for a dollar that's brilliant. Is it UVB they react to or all of the UV spectrum?


EDIT> I just found a few posts on the net. The beads will change color with both UVA and UVB.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Well I try it with regular house bulb and it didn't change color, so I guess it only for uv bulb. I can try it again when I get home.
Bao Bao & Bei Bei
Justin3344
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 22, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

Your regular house bulb - incandescent should be putting out UVA... hrmmm.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 am   Re: When to replace my UVB bulb?

@VeipaCray - I'd say a MVB is good for 9-12 months. I'm not using one religiously, I take my RES out often during the warmer weather. uvguide.co.uk website would have a breakdown of more popular brands' decay rates, but that section appears to be closed. Maybe it can be found on the Wayback Machine.

@Justin3344 - someone previously thought about using those sunscreen UV meters, but I think they focus on different wavelengths. That might also be the case with the bead. I like the thinking though!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests