Habitat - Indoor :: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 pm   Final upgrade... what do I need??

I am ready to get Sheldon a new aquarium. This absolutely has to be the final upgrade, or my husband will probably divorce me.

Currently he is in a 55 gallon aquarium, and Sheldon's Shell is at about 6 inches now.

I put an ad on Craigslist offering to trade a tattoo (dad is a tattoo artist) for an aquarium, and so far I have had one offer. She has a 75 gallon with stand, she is valuing the setup at $400... I don't know if that is reasonable or not. I am thinking a 75 gallon would be sufficient, but I don't want to regret the decision later. Any input would be awesome. I am planning to build an ATBA for whatever size tank I end up with...
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

I just upgraded to a 75 recently and our turtle loves the room he has to play. Of course, he's only 3" long right now so this tank seems roomy enough for now. In your case however, moving from a 55 to a 75 is only gaining you a few inches from the front of the tank to the back. Granted, it is bigger and I think that's great, but if it were me, I think I'd keep looking and maybe look for a 90-100 gallon tank.

Trust me, I realize that money doesn't grow on trees and I have learned really fast how expensive a turtle can be. Between our tank, stand, filter, ATBA, lighting and decoration I think we have somewhere between $800-$900 invested. I'm sure it can be done for less, I just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Whatever you do wind up with, I'm sure it'll be cool. Keep us posted.
Good luck!
yankeefan
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mar 13, 2011

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

I also suggest going with a larger tank, at least the largest you can fit in your budget. Don't rush the purchase, keep an eye out for people wanting to get rid of those tanks that are just taking up space in their garages. 100+ gallons is your best bet. The investment now leads to less frequent tank cleaning, a lot of headroom for upgrades, and a happier turtle down the road.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 am   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

A final 75 or 100 gallon would be acceptable for a male RES, though I would shoot for a 100 gallon. I picked up a used 100 gallon tank and metal stand for $100. Unless her tank is a bowfront, it's not worth $400.

I agree with the advice above. Sheldon won't likely have any growth spurts, so no need to rush into it. :D
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:16 am   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

I bought a 75 gallon with a stand brand new at my local pet store for way less than $400 about 7 months ago. So she can value her setup as she pleases, but a used 75 gallon aquarium and stand is probably worth more like $150-200 depending on how nice the stand is. Of course this is for a regular 75 gallon tank. If the tank is reef ready (ie has a built in overflow) it's worth significantly more. A brand new 75G RR tank is like $275.

I agree with the others above. Get the biggest one you can afford / fit.

If anyone feels turtle keeping is expensive, please go to your local saltwater / reef store. Tell them you're interested in a price on a very small reef setup like 55-75 gallons. Trust me you won't feel so bad about the price of turtle keeping anymore. :-D And the people with the huge reef tanks like 1000 gallons... I don't know how they afford it.

And then there's Bill Wonn. In the Chicago suburbs.... who built his HOUSE around a 17,000 gallon reef tank.
Click here to see...OMFG!!!
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Thanks for the input guys, I thought $400 seemed like a rip-off. I am really in no rush, but I'm kinda excited :wink: 55 gallons looked so big to me when I bought it, now it seems small.

I am not really concerned about the price, I just don't want to get ripped off. Sheldon will be around for quite a while, so it's a worthy investment. I saw 180 gallon on craigslist for $150 bucks but my husband said NO WAY :( I think I will shoot for 90 gallons, the footprint seems manageable.

So a used 90 gallon with stand should run what, like $200-$250? I guess it depends on the stand...
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

I paid $75 for my 75 gallon tank. Although it came with a metal stand, so, not as nice, but for $75 I really didn't care. I think the person was asking $100, but I talked him down to 75.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:41 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

ya i sent ya a PM with some info. i would never pay 400$ for a 75 gal tank unless it came with a gold stand! and i would still be considering just spending the 400$ on something else lol.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Awesome! I hope to score a sweet deal!
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Just keep looking, I paid $75. for a 110G with alot of stuff, had to reseal it, but I prolly spent a max of $80.-$90. with gas and all. Get the largest one you can afford, maybe try to trade tattoo and add money, maybe $100.-$200. for a really clean 110G+ . I plan to go bigger sooner or later, I still got the 110G tank, spent around $200. for the stand, which was built by a family friend, All in all, I think I spent $400.-$450. for it all, including a XP4 filter, tank, heater, sand, blah, blah, I already had the light from my last setup. I've seen $75G tanks go for $200.-$400., it just doesn't look right, seeing as I bought a nearly perfect 75G for $75., I guess the small tanks that sell over $200. have a special glass that cleans the water while feeding the fish and turtles, and will never crack or bow..........
Thanks,
Richard
User avatar
Snowboi
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
Location: FL, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

For some reason, the Craigs list/used tanks posters have all gone away for the summer...I can't seem to find anything, and it just irks me to think I have to march down to Petsmart and pay their outrageous price!
~and 3 rescued cats
Miss Tee
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
Location: Philly, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

@Miss tee... Try posting a "wanted" ad, I've had people respond that didn't have anything posted for sale.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Thanks for the idea, happycamper--I did that today.
~and 3 rescued cats
Miss Tee
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
Location: Philly, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Well-I got the tank...now just looking for a cabinet to go underneath.....wish I was rich and could just order everything on-line. This penny-pinching stuff seems like it's been going on for weeks!
~and 3 rescued cats
Miss Tee
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
Location: Philly, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:44 pm   Re: Final upgrade... what do I need??

Haha, I hear ya. Wouldn't it be fun to just go out and buy all the top-of-the-line aquarium gear? ...and camping gear... lol

At least when we finally score something we REALLY appreciate it!
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 105 guests