Habitat - Indoor :: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm   Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

Hi all,

I just bought Cabomba, Anancharis and a Red Temple plant for my turtle's aquarium. The Cabomba and Anacharis are fine I know but does anyone know if there's an issue with putting the telanthera (Red Temple) plant in the aquarium with the red ear slider turtle?

Thanks!
psumichael
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Dec 19, 2010

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 am   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

I could not find any info on RES keepers and Telenthera (Red Temple).
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:40 pm   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

steve wrote:I could not find any info on RES keepers and Telenthera (Red Temple).


Me either. I put it in the tank. I could get burnt but I'm of the mindset that these animals survive in the wild with all sorts of dangers around. I'll monitor the turtle and plant closely. So far he has checked it out but doesn't seem interested in biting it. When I put anacharis and cabomba in he bites it all to pieces pretty quickly.
psumichael
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Dec 19, 2010

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

psumichael wrote:
steve wrote:I could not find any info on RES keepers and Telenthera (Red Temple).


Me either. I put it in the tank. I could get burnt but I'm of the mindset that these animals survive in the wild with all sorts of dangers around. I'll monitor the turtle and plant closely. So far he has checked it out but doesn't seem interested in biting it. When I put anacharis and cabomba in he bites it all to pieces pretty quickly.


We've moved to stage two. :wink: My RES has now bitten up some of the telenthera stalks/leaves. Doesn't seem to be interested in eating it so far. But he isn't eating the anacharis or cabomba either and he has eaten that in the past so the telenthera may become food soon. He's behaving perfectly normal, FWIW.
psumichael
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Dec 19, 2010

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 am   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

OK, thanks for the update!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 pm   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

I went away on vacation and left the telanthera plant in the aquarium. The turtle chewed it to shreds. Don't know if he actually consumed it at all but he seems to be perfectly fine. Doubt that telanthera is poisonous in any way to RES.
psumichael
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Dec 19, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

Thanks for the update. He was left alone for a few days?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 pm   Re: Red Temple (Telanthera) Safe for Turtle?

Yea, the turtle was left alone for roughly a week. Automatic feeder was dispensing pellets for the turtle and flakes for the fish. One of the rosey red minnows did "disappear" though, even though it had been coexisting with the turtle for months.
psumichael
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Dec 19, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 125 guests