Page 1 of 2

Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:59 pm
by Brandi
Hello All. I am new to the site. I have had my Fred for about 7 years now. He's been trying all week but was successful today on escaping out of his tank. I have no idea what to do. I don't have an elaborate tank or anything. It's a good size, as is he, and he has a basking area that he can get on. I live in Ohio and it gets cold. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:34 pm
by happycamper
Could you maybe post a picture of your setup?

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 am
by rsour24
does fred usually do this?
is it possible fred is a girl and is gravid?

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm
by Jessemoreno
Just name him Houdini the amazing escaping turtle. lol that rythmes.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:36 pm
by SheaShea
I have a female turtle, and she has escaped 3 times. She's sometimes gone missing for over a month.

My only source was to tell all of my nearing neighbors with a flyer and picture and hope that one of them spotted my turtle. One time she was still in my backyard but had dug herself somewhere in mud. She loves digging and burring herself.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm
by happycamper
SheaShea wrote:I have a female turtle, and she has escaped 3 times. She's sometimes gone missing for over a month.

My only source was to tell all of my nearing neighbors with a flyer and picture and hope that one of them spotted my turtle. One time she was still in my backyard but had dug herself somewhere in mud. She loves digging and burring herself.


You have a pond I take it? Lucky to have found her each time!

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:39 pm
by SheaShea
happycamper wrote:
SheaShea wrote:I have a female turtle, and she has escaped 3 times. She's sometimes gone missing for over a month.

My only source was to tell all of my nearing neighbors with a flyer and picture and hope that one of them spotted my turtle. One time she was still in my backyard but had dug herself somewhere in mud. She loves digging and burring herself.


You have a pond I take it? Lucky to have found her each time!



Tell me about it!!! But I tell you what I've found every nook and cranny of my backyard now, lol

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:47 am
by dibox
I also started to have this problem.
For the past few days my turtle [16yo female] has been regularly trying to escape.
It always happens in the morning when she kind of wakes up. Looking for all the ways out of the tank.
I'm afraid one day when I'm on vacations she will clamber the dock and overturn and there'll be nobody to put her on his feet. Or worse, she will break her neck, because she seems very determined.
Is it normal, or is she sick or something?
She has a nice view of the apartment from the dock, maybe she's realizing the confined space and just wants to do some sightseeing? :roll:
Or.... is it BEGGING? :evil:

If you ask what was happeing throughout those 16 years - she had a different tank with a small island in the middlle. Now she has a new tank with big box-dock placed on top of the tank with a ramp leading to it.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:51 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
dibox wrote:I also started to have this problem.
For the past few days my turtle [16yo female] has been regularly trying to escape.
It always happens in the morning when she kind of wakes up. Looking for all the ways out of the tank.


Has your turtle ever layed eggs before? Usually a sudden change of trying to escape always is a sign she could be carrying eggs.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 pm
by dibox
Diamondbacks4Life wrote:
dibox wrote:I also started to have this problem.
For the past few days my turtle [16yo female] has been regularly trying to escape.
It always happens in the morning when she kind of wakes up. Looking for all the ways out of the tank.


Has your turtle ever layed eggs before? Usually a sudden change of trying to escape always is a sign she could be carrying eggs.


She's never had any contact with a male :wink:
Well...maybe once, 15 years ago.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:06 pm
by Love of Animals
They don't need contact with a male. They will lay infertile eggs just like a chicken.

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:44 pm
by dibox
Love of Animals wrote:They don't need contact with a male. They will lay infertile eggs just like a chicken.


Jesus Christ.
Now that is something new I learn and a big surprise :shock:
But why just now?

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:57 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
The change in the habitat could of done it, possibly she is getting more heat now and feel like it is time to lay eggs. Check out this video to see if she might have eggs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY2pRyQgn9o[/youtube]

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:11 pm
by dibox
Right, so what should I expect?
Is she going to keep on looking for a place to lay eggs, but since there is nowhere to bury them in the tank, she'll eventually abandon the idea, or is she going to just lay them any place when the time comes, because she needs to release them out of the body and not carry them forever?

I gave her a new tank and basking light 3 weeks ago.
Maybe it's because of warmth? Should I just turn down the temperature so that she changes her mind about those eggs?

And let me just understand 1 thing:
Does she merely WANT to lay eggs because she FEELS like it, or did she actually manage to PRODUCE some eggs in 3 weeks and MUST lay them...or else... she can die? :shock:
Is laying in water dangerous ? :(

Re: Escaping turtle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:40 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
She is going to keep looking for a spot to lay her eggs and will most likely lay the eggs anywhere because she does need to lay them. Very rare chance they might actually get egg bound: http://redearslider.com/physical_conditions.html

Yes most female will lay infertile eggs.
Actually its takes about 2weeks to a month for the turtle to produce a clutch of eggs. So timeline does match up.
Keep the temps hows they are its more likely it felt like spring to summer to her and that triggered it and she might not lay again.

Definetly watch that video and try and feel for eggs. She could not have them at all and this is just a misunderstanding and shes just trying to escape haha.