Habitat - Indoor :: Suggestions for improving my set up???

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 pm   Suggestions for improving my set up???

Hello - I wanted to post pics of my new turtle home. We are in the process of purchasing a new tank. It's only a 20 gallon tank and Tucker is 4.5 inches long. We want to abide by the 1 in/10 gallon rule. We've had him for three weeks. He seems to be happy, but I feel bad knowing he's not in enough water. That was my fault for not researching before I bought him. I want to go ahead and buy a tank that will be adequate for him, assuming he gets to full size. I was looking at a tank that was 125 gallons. I don't know though, with it weighing over 1000 pounds filled up, I'm hesitant to put it anywhere but in the basement. We don't want him in the basement because we are hardly down there at this point in our lives, and like to observe him. Does anyone have any suggestions for me about improving my tank? Does anyone have a tank that heavy on an upper level of a house and have it not supported by concrete?

Also, I have a bunch of rocks around my house. I have one in there right now for decoration, however when I do purchase a new tank, I would like to use some to make a nice basking area. I will definitely clean/scrub these rocks before I put them in there, but is there any reason I should not use them? Would baking them in an oven for a bit on a high temp help to disinfect/kill any parasites? Thanks for your input.
Attachments
DSC02248.JPG
Side View
DSC02239.JPG
Front
DSC02240.JPG
Top View
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

If you know Tucker is a male, then a 75-90 gallon will do. If Tucker is a female, then a 90-125 gallon would the last and only one you need. Keep in mind, bigger is always better for turtle tanks and a 125 gallon would be perfect.

If the tank is placed in a good spot, I think a 125 gallon should be fine. Most people with large tanks place them against load-bearing walls and perpendicular to the floor joists. Some stands, usually the wooden kind, can also distribute the weight better.

As for the rocks, how would plan on using it for a basking area? I think baking, boiling are options to disinfect.. it might depend on where those rocks have been.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:58 am   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

The rocks have been around the house for landscaping. I was thinking of piling them up high enough to be above the water and serve as a basking area. However, I don't know that I'm going to do it because as Tucker gets bigger, he might knock one over and crack the glass. They are fairly large rocks, not some little river rocks and I'd probably be better off leaving them out. I like some of the set - ups I've seen with the above the tank basking areas. That might be something I look into once I get a new tank.
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
User avatar
Tucker Allen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 am   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

when I got my turtles I had 2 in a 20 gal tank. Thats what the lady that had them before me had them in. within 2 weeks I bought a 55 gal tank and they seem to be very happy in it. I also want to do an above tank basking area there are alot of great ideas on this site!
rana
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Apr 4, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

Home Depot sells floor support posts that look like GIANT tension rods. That, plus two load bearing walls, and you'll be safe. Think of how much a full book case will weigh. If you can get a big tank at a reasonable cost, your turtle will love it.
1 Great Dane Mix - Mortimer
1 Norwegian Elkhound - Jack
1 Beagle - Logan
4 Kitties - Lucy, Gibbons, Stella, and Argyle
2 RES - Einstein & Julia
1 Betta - Beetah

Let's Go Pens!
User avatar
UpTheStox
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mar 23, 2011
Location: PA

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

Don't bother stacking up those rocks, it takes up too much room and as you said, can be a hazard. There are several easy ones you can make, and they work better than most of the commercial ones.

@UpTheStox - That's a good idea, I need to remember that!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:07 am   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

Any Ideas to make my baby peanuts tank set up better
Attachments
0812210043.jpg
0812210043.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
0812205952.jpg
0812205952.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
0812210058.jpg
0812210058.jpg (17.03 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
55 gallon
4 baby RES all 2 inches genders unknown
4 cats(Simba, Nala, Dot, and Freeway)
and my husband

1 Baby Russian Tortoise Gender Uknown size:2 inches or so Name: Pancake
User avatar
TurtleGirl1985
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Aug 10, 2011
Location: perris ca
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:27 pm   Re: Suggestions for improving my set up???

Sand always looks great, maybe some fake plants? What about a water heater?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 89 guests