Habitat - Indoor :: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 am   Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

So I got my 155 gallon tank yesterday :). I learned A LOT ..such as..you cannot lift this tank with two people lol. We ended up using 4! Second.. the guy didn't clean it out very well and there is still a little gravel and water in it..which apparently is a big no no when moving tanks according to my boss who had a tank like this. I have never had a tank this big so I don't know what I am doing!

Anyway, he gave me a ton of stuff with it and I don't know what half of it is or if I need it. He gave me two filters.. one is a Fluval 305 but I don't know what the other one is. (Yes I know..get the Fx5..I will when I can afford it). I am not real sure how to use them either ..

The tank is very dirty. Whats a good way to clean the inside of tubing? I am going to get vinegar and baking soda today. Here are some pics (sorry its a mess, he just kind of threw everything in there and its all tangled)..$375...I don't mind cleaning it for that price! Oh and whats this blue thing?

Image
Image
Image
Image
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

PS before you yell at me, that Lysol spray bottle has vinegar in it..don't worry
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:25 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

NO BAKING SODA!!!!!!!

White vinegar ONLY if you need to get mineral deposits off the glass, then rinse the hell out of it.

Otherwise clean it with distilled water.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

That tall square filter looks like the original Rena XP filter.

Don't bother cleaning inside the tubing. You'll spend more on the cleaning supply than on new tubing. Go to your local hardware store / home improvement center. They will sell tubing by the foot on a spool. Take a piece with you and have them match it. Replacement tubing will be a few cents per foot.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:33 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Oh..I googled it and it said to use baking soda. Thanks, I didn't know. Is the Rena XP filter in combination with with Fluval 305 going to be enough until I can save up for the Fx5? I can get new tubing.. I didn't even think to do that which is funny since I bought some tubing yesterday to fit on my kitchen faucet so I can fill the tank up!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Baking soda is a base. Two problems... It can break down the silicone joints in the glass and cause your aquarium to leak. Second, if it does get into the silicone, it's hard to get rid of and can cause the PH in your tank to be low.

White vinegar on a paper towel only if you need to remove hard water stains from the glass. Vinegar will evaporate quickly, but you should still rinse it really well anyway.

Distilled water will clean a tank really well.

The 305 and the XP combined should handle the 155.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Is that white stuff all over it the hard water stains? Its literally so thick on the lid that its chipped off (Not that I will be using the lid). Good news on the filters :D. Do you know what the blue thing is? There are a few other things I am not sure about but I am going to clean everything up to night and figure it out
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

It's hard water stains, mineral deposits, lime, etc. The same gunk that builds up in your shower if uncleaned. Distilled water can remove it from just about anything except glass.

For the glass, the minerals can literally etch the glass and make a mess. White vinegar is the best for the glass.

No clue what that round blue thing is.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:37 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Thanks!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:38 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

When you fill your tank.

1. Use cold water. Heated water will have much more of the white crap you're trying to clean as it's built up inside the tank of your water heater. The exception to this is if you have one of those tankless water heaters.

2. Do not add any chemicals to the water. No water conditioner. No de-chlorinator... nothing.

Set your filters up with the bio media and carbon or purigen like you would normally. Let them circulate the water. The chlorine will evaporate out of the water in about 24 hours. If you have an air pump w/ air stone... this will help. Make sure the output of your filter is causing surface movement of the water for now. The carbon or purigen in the filters will remove any chloramine in the water supply.

3. Add your heater to the mix and let it gradually bring the water up to temperature. This will take a while for a 155G tank. If you have a spare heater....add it to the mix until the water temp comes up.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

OK I will try that. I also read you can use a razor blade to scrape it off (I clean my ceramic stove top the same way and have never scratched it). I hope this all works!
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

Once the water is up to temp and your environment is setup, your turtle will urinate or defecate in the water. This will serve as a source of ammonia and the nitrogen cycle will begin. Your tank will become cloudy for a little while and then clear itself up. Turtles aren't nearly as sensitive to the ammonia & nitrite spikes during the cycle as fish are. Do not change your water or your filter media for at least a month. Let the cycle run its course. Nitrifying bacteria will begin to build up on all surfaces including your substrate should you choose to put one as well as the bio media in your filter. This is a good thing. Having two filters affords you the luxury of being able to clean one while not disturbing the bacteria colony in the other.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

You sure can use a razor blade to scrape it off. Be really sure not to nick the silicone with the razor. Vinegar is much faster for an empty tank. Most people use a razor / scraper on an established tank with things living in it. If the tank is new and empty, the vinegar is stupid easy.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 am   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

K thanks. Ill just use that then
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
User avatar
sflemin2
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Mar 20, 2011
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm   Re: Got my 155 gal! Help! What is this stuff?!

is the blue thing an air stone?
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 124 guests