Habitat - Indoor :: AQUACLEAR FILTER NOT FITTING

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm   AQUACLEAR FILTER NOT FITTING

Hello, I bought an Aquaclear 70 H.O.B. power filter and it does not fit on my tank. The u-shaped intake tube is made of hard plastic and is not wide enough to go around my 75 gallon tank's lip. It was used on my last setup, otherwise I would just return it. Has anyone had similar issues hanging this filter on their tank and if so, how did you fix it? I was thinking about cutting the u-shaped intake tube and attaching rubber hosing which would give more flexibility. I did not know how to cut this hard plastic since it looks very brittle. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bib
bibby
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 1, 2011
Location: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm   Re: AQUACLEAR FILTER NOT FITTING

I don't know of any way around this unless you cut the lip. Now, I think someone did this with a stock tank, which is considerably stronger than a regular tank so I would NOT recommend you do this with a glass tank.

There appears to be no extensions for the intake stem. Maybe you can sell it and put the money towards a new filter.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 pm   Re: AQUACLEAR FILTER NOT FITTING

I used to use an Aquaclear 70 on a 20-gallon long tank (which is the size tank it's more appropriate for). The Aqua70 is really too small for a 75-gallon tank, so I wouldn't feel too bad about just getting a more powerful filter (like a canister :D) meant for a larger tank.

If you have your heart set on trying to modify the U-shaped intake piece, it can be cut using a small saw and not being too forceful. I've never cut the U-shaped piece, but I have cut the straight piece that fits into it without a problem.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am   Re: AQUACLEAR FILTER NOT FITTING

I don't think I would try and cut the lip, that could be a HUGE mess. I was using the 70 for a 2nd filter; I use XP3 for my main filter. I like the fact that the 70 moves the surface water around. The canister filter really doesnt touch the surface water. I think I will try and either cut the straight part of the u-intake or just custom make the piece with hose and pvc.
Thanks for the help
bibby
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mar 1, 2011
Location: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 78 guests