Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Turtle dock!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:34 pm   DIY Turtle dock!!

So, I have decided I need to create a custom turtle dock! I got the idea after researching a DIY 3d background for a different tank. I ended up being lazy and just ordering one online. It is super awesome looking by the way ;) When I first got the background I was surprised that it was made of extremely buoyant foam, I started thinking that if you can make your own aquarium safe 3d background... you can make a custom turtle dock!

My issue with my existing dock has been this:
I have a "box" that I built with just the walls, no bottom, on top of my 55 gallon tank. on my last ATBA I made, it had a floor, which blocked too much light in the aquarium. I built the box that so I could fill the water all the way and have the normal dock in there. But that support bar thing in the middle of my tank limits where I can put the dock. Also when Sheldon is frantically sliding back into the water I am worried he will accidentally clip his shell on that bar! Not good! So I am thinking...

Build a custom island that will sit in the middle of the tank, on top of the bar. It will have a ramp going into the water in both directions. it will turn out looking like stone, I think it will work out really well! Hopefully! lol

I hope that all made sense!! lol :lol:

Anyone ever tried this? I am going to start my project on payday! Can't wait!
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:51 pm   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

be careful about putting a lot of weight on that "bar" in the middle of the tank. It's a brace used to keep the tank from bowing and cracking. I would suggest you cut a piece of plexi wider than the center rim brace (and place it over the brace) to redistribute the load of your dock along more of the rim of the tank.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 pm   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

I realize the importance of the bar. The dock will be floating, with a notch deep enough into it to still be on top of the water, but be held in place by the bar... does that make sense? I feel like I need to draw a picture lol
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:42 pm   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

What material are you using?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:55 pm   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

Inside will be made of styrofoam, then coated with layers of Quickcrete Quickwall. Then once it's all finished seal everything with and epoxy resin.

Link to the DIY 3d background instructions.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/d ... ground.php

Basically same procedure but with the epoxy. I am kinda torn as to whether I really need the epoxy, it seems most articles skip it.
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 pm   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

Looks very cool! Let us know how it holds against turtle use :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 am   Re: DIY Turtle dock!!

Makes sense about the bar. If the water level drops, will the bar be able to float free away from the brace, or have you already figured this into your plans?
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests