Page 1 of 1
what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:50 pm
by dtarver
Hi
I put a terrarium on top of my 140 gallon tank (one of my turtles is 9" so the floating dock does not work) and am wondering what is the best substrate to put inside? The terrarium is 18x18 x 24 and I ordered a PowerSun UVB/Heating bulb. I have 18x18x6" of space to fill with substrate. What do you recommend?
I am using plixiglass and ordered corkbark and plan to create a ramp positioned with plexigalss so they do not fall out. Since my water is high I have mesh on top of the tank.
Thank you,
Dora
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 pm
by VeipaCray
I don't think you really need to have a substrate for turtle basking. You just need a platform for them to climb up on. I prefer a piece of tile or acrylic (plexiglass) as it's easy to wipe down and keep clean.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm
by dtarver
what do you put on the plexiglass so they don't slip off? I found terrarium carpet that is washable. I am thinking about sticking it on the plexigalss.

Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:38 pm
by VeipaCray
If the plexi is flat they won't slide off. You could glue a piece of outdoor carpet onto it (AstroTurf looking stuff).
I use plexi for the ramp to the basking platform as well. For the ramp, I just drill a bunch of holes in it so the turtle can grip the ramp while climbing ot basking from the ramp. Holes in the plexi were free

, work really well and makes it easy to clean.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm
by dtarver
ok... i'll give it a try! Thanks
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm
by vear
I use a textured rubber mat (the kind you use for your bathtub) cut to size. My ramp is also made of plexiglass, but it's way too slippery for him to grip. The rubber mat works perfectly.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 pm
by elwray
I used ceramic tile, since it holds a bit of heat from the overhead light, making it more pleasurable for basking.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:30 pm
by steve
How wide is the corkbark? If it's wide enough, you can use that for the basking area.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:55 pm
by dtarver
Yes, I did shove the corkbark in but my 9" turtle needs more swimming space, so I have a terrarium on to of my 140 gallon tank and plan to fill the tank with water for her. Right now she and the 6" male are enjoying the corkbark and half filled tank but I want to give them something better.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:12 pm
by steve
If you need a large basking area for more than one turtle, I would use PVC topped with ceramic tile.
Re: what is best substrate for terrarium basking?

Posted:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 pm
by dtarver
I already have the terrarium, but thank you.