Habitat - Indoor :: What would I need in a basic tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:25 am   What would I need in a basic tank?

First time, really planning on getting a res by the end of the week. Been gathering info about res and how to take care of them. And now I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

What would a basic tank for a res need? aside from the tank and water?

Filters... what kind?
conditioning liquid stuff? what are those again?
Basking light
Basking area

what else? thanks
User avatar
sagoy
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Jul 24, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 pm   Re: What would I need in a basic tank?

Have you read through the main site? www.redearslider.com If you haven't, that's where you should begin.

Filters: Depends on the size of your tank - get the largest tank you can afford from the start... it'll save you money in the long run. The filter's gph should be 5x the size of your tank. so, 100 gallon tank, filter should handle 500gph. Canister filters are my favorite... at least for my turtle tank.

Conditioning and/or other liquids, depends on your water. I use dechlorinator b/c my water literally comes out white and it irritates Tomi's eyes.

Basking lights: You need a UVB bulb (very important!) and a heat bulb (you can use a regular light bulb for this)

Basking area: Should be easily accessible, allow him/her to get out of the water completely. Basking lights should be positioned above it. You need to make sure your RES can't escape.

What else:
You need a heater
Also 2 thermometers, one for the water, one for the basking area.
A bucket/hose/syphon or whatever you plan on using to fill and empty the tank.
A good aquarium stand (your tank will be heavy!)
Decorations if wanted (plants, sand, river rocks, bubbler... anything else you'd like).
And reserve money... for unexpected expenses (vet, upgrades etc).

Make sure you have everything set up before bringing your RES home.

Good luck!
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:44 am   Re: What would I need in a basic tank?

thanks... I think I have everything except for the siphon. Can't seem to find one in any of the petshops here. I'm going to try some hardware stores.
User avatar
sagoy
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Jul 24, 2010

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 pm   Re: What would I need in a basic tank?

Try wal-mart, Many around here have some so they might have some in your area.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 111 guests