Habitat - Indoor :: Complete Newbie with questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 pm   Complete Newbie with questions

I have a 55 gallon tank. I have a fluval 404 filter. I don't know what to do with it. So,
1. What 'media' should I be using when I change it?
2. How often do I change the media?
3. Is 1 404 filter enough?
4. The guy I got it from had a pump on the intake valve to 'help' the water along. is that right?
5. Also, the tank kinda stinks (did when I got it from him). I assume it hasn't been cleaned real good (the water looks clear but who knows?) So, what can I use to clean the tank?
6. I read about vinegar somewhere. Is that okay?

Thanks.
primetime34
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm   Re: Complete Newbie with questions

The filter packaging should come with instructions on what to buy for replacements and how often. Not sure about the pump on the intake valve because I'm not familiar with the filter...
I would get another filter just because more is always better - turtles are extremely messy. AND if the tank was stinky when you got it, most likely means that the one filter wasn't enough.
You can use bleach (3% solution) or vinegar to wash the tank but make sure you double, triple, etc rinse to the point where you cannot smell the bleach anymore. I use Simple Green (usually you can find it in the car/automotive) section because it's a more "natural" cleaner (vinegar is too but I hate bleach) or Dawn dish soap since it's tough and "safe" for animals. Again though... make sure to REALLY rinse no matter what you use.

If you're completely new to turtles check out my blog - I've got a bunch of care information and products I suggest on it.

Hope I helped some!
Last edited by kathleensandin on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kathleensandin
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:48 pm   Re: Complete Newbie with questions

I'm not sure what "pump" you're referring to... doesn't it have a device to help it prime? It wouldn't need something to help it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 pm   Re: Complete Newbie with questions

steve wrote:I'm not sure what "pump" you're referring to... doesn't it have a device to help it prime? It wouldn't need something to help it.


I can't get the Fluval 404 to prime.....I pump and pump the little red prime lever and it just never primes.....I think the pump is on there because the previous owner couldn't get it to prime either.
primetime34
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm   Re: Complete Newbie with questions

I have 2 fluval 405. Priming is an issue. What i did is i fill them with dechlorized water up to the top, then close them, them pour more water in the in tube. Then you just plug it and it works like a charm. No need to do that after cleaning, usually starts by itself.
About the media.. you should fill the biologic part with the little baskets with bioballs or the like, while the mechanic part (the small one which can slide out on the right) should put either sponges or something similar.
It's not a bad filter.
User avatar
Marcus.85
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:37 am   Re: Complete Newbie with questions

a 404 should be plenty for a 55 gallon
FOR THE HORDE!
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 109 guests