Habitat - Indoor :: Need help with turtle dock and turtle swimming

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 pm   Need help with turtle dock and turtle swimming

I got a tank today (about 20-30 gallons) for my baby RES. When i put him on the basking area he swam to the bottom and was on its toes with its neck stretched out to try to get air. He would push against the sides but couldnt seem to swim UPWARDS. Please help! I moved him to the old tank with little water. Also, what should i attach to my turtle dock to help him "climb up" to the basking area/ dock.
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:05 pm   

what kind of basking area are you using? If you're having issues with the turtle swimming, you can lower the water level. But chances are you just need to give the little guy some time to adjust to the new water depth. Adding tall plants can also provide the turtle something to grab onto if it gets tired.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:13 pm   

yea. I want him to adjust to the new tank cause the old one was pretty pathetic... i added more water to the old one to see if he can "relearn" to swim by adding a little water weekly... like he always cranes his neck rather than floating... can RES's just float? and would some cloth or something help him climb?
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 pm   

Yes, RES can float but it took mine a little while to figure out the exact science of it. I think if the turtle was in a position where he never had to swim, it'll just take a minute to realize that he has to swim to breathe in his new tank. How long did you leave him in the larger tank before taking him out?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm   

uh a couple minutes... he might be scared but i dont want him to drown. I know they can hold breath for hours but still.. he attempted climbing on sides but i think he only knows how to swim across (left and right) not how to float up... any suggestions on how to teach him? leave him alone or have my hand beneath him?
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm   

I would leave him in the tank longer, to give him time to get accustomed to his larger surroundings. You can put something tall in the tank with him so if he needs some assistance he can grab on.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:35 pm   

Thanks for the quick response! Wish him luck :)
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm   

No problemo! He should do great!
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:43 pm   

He is now in it and can swim UP! haha i still have one problem... I have a turtle dock but he doesnt wanna go to the basking lamp.. he's scared of it apparently. He will hang on the ledge but won't crawl up to BASK! i put treats there but he still won't get there... any tips?
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:59 pm   

how long has he been in the tank? are your temps in the right ranges? If your temps are good, just give him some alone time, most new turtles are very cautious when it comes to exposing themselves by climbing on a dock. So if you can give him some privacy, he'll get up there and will get used to it and will eventually bask in front of you.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:13 pm   

like he isnt scared of me face.. haha he is scared of my body, arms, and hand. How long did it take ur baby turtles to get used to it?
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:41 pm   

when my baby edward was a hatchling, he was never skiddish, he did however, when he was older, become a little aprehensive about climbing onto his med zoo med floating turtle dock. he struggled with pulling himself up for ahwile, but within a week he got it! Now he sometimes climbs on the dock just to dive off of it. i think he thinks its fun. idk...just give him some time...his natural instincts will get him where he needs to be eventually, if all other conditions are met.
YBS Turtle- Edward
Chinese Water Dragon- Mr. Priscilla
5 Faintails- Clarence, Ophilia, Troy, Morrison, Stewart, Tobias/Alabaster Plecos. Lary Snail
Cat- Mr. Nibbles
Chihuahua- Chanel
Poodle- Ellie
Labradoor- Bruin
[RIP Ralph Red-Ear]
User avatar
EdwardTurtleman
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 14, 2010
Location: alabama

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:50 pm   

Do u suggest me taking him out and putting him on a towel or whatever and put the basking lamp there? i know its important for their growth
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:53 pm   

No. Like I said. Leave him alone, if possible leave the room for some time to give him some privacy. He's capable of getting up there, he just needs time to adjust.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:11 pm   

Thank you both! I love this forum
mryoyo9
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: North Carolina


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 103 guests

cron