Habitat - Indoor :: Sharing a lamp

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 pm   Sharing a lamp

Hi everyone!

I'm planning for my next big move (back to my hometown, for graduate school) and I'm contemplating alternative setups for Napoleon and Moxie. Since they both have above-tank basking areas, and their tanks are roughly the same height, I was thinking it would be great if I could butt them up against each other and position a mercury vapor bulb directly between them. I figure that way they both get the benefit of that kind of bulb, and I only have to run one lamp instead of four. Can anyone think of a reason that this wouldn't work? Also, any suggestions for how to suspend the lamp (since mvbs have to be positioned vertically rather than clamped at an angle)? Thanks!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm   

I would think that as long as you can maintain equal coverage over both basking areas, it should work just fine.

Try fixing the lamp to a shelf or to one of those plant hook things.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 am   

I'd like to do that too, and I see nothing wrong with it. Make sure it's a flood lamp and you should be set. When are we getting updated pics?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:07 pm   

Soon I hope! I haven't taken too many over the past year because I just haven't had time but once I move and get settled hopefully the rest of the summer will be more laid back. If nothing else I'll be sure to post pics of whatever the setup ends up looking like!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:25 pm   

It will work. I'd buy (something like the Zoo-Med one) or make a stand to hang the lamp from.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:20 pm   

Cool! The stand is a good idea. I could do some kind of plant hook thing but this place has plaster walls which are crazy to try to put anything into. I guess once I figure out where they're going to go I can sort through my options, but I'm glad to hear that it should work.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests