Habitat - Indoor :: Turning the turtles tank into a chiclid (fish) tank only.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 am   Turning the turtles tank into a chiclid (fish) tank only.

Hey everyone, I've got a question for you.
If I would like to turn my RES tank into a fish-only tank, it will be safe for them, or should I replace the filter pipes, gravel, all the water etc... ?

I'm little bit worried that turtle tank is very "infected/polluted" and got lots of bacterium which can hurt the fish.

So, do you think it should be safe or should I start the tank all over and "to disinfect" it?

All of my RES are healthy and taken a really good care. they are moving into a vet's turtle pool which they can grow much better and happier there.


Thanks!
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 am   

As long as you wash everything in hot water it will be good enough.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:33 pm   

I keep a cichlid with my turtle and it's never hurt him any.
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:08 pm   

you guys think that cleaning the gravel extremely good and clean the filter pipes + change ALMOST all the water sholud be fine?

i dont want to hurt the filter's bacterias and do the cycle all over again.


thanks
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 pm   

Why don't you just do a partial water change and clean the gravel/tank? I mean they're turtles, not toxic waste machines. Just because they poop more than some fish doesn't mean they're full of fish killing bacteria.
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:03 pm   

Out of curiosity, what kind of filter do you have?
-- Mike

RES: Thor - 2"
User avatar
chelonian
 
Posts: 44
Joined: May 21, 2010
Location: California

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:23 pm   

heheh thanks Outlander!
chelonian - i got rena xp3 filter in there
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:31 pm   

turtie wrote:heheh thanks Outlander!
chelonian - i got rena xp3 filter in there


In that case, I would follow Outlander's advice.
-- Mike

RES: Thor - 2"
User avatar
chelonian
 
Posts: 44
Joined: May 21, 2010
Location: California

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:26 am   

Sorry you gave up your turtles, hope you get a chance to visit them!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests