Page 1 of 1

Need some plan for basking area

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm
by xewkija631
I see all these great ideas of basking areas for the turtles but How do you guys get the thing to like stay does anyone have a step by step plans or something, I tried the turtle topper but it didnt fit my 55 gallon so I know need to do something else for my 2 RES.

could someone please help me out

Thank You

What happens if their in the water too long?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:41 pm
by SINI5T3R
Being in the water too long can cause Shell Rot and a number of other diseases and illnesses. Its never good to have anything other then a fish in water 24/7 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Shell Rot can kill turtles and its pretty painfull for them. When I did not have a stick on dock, I used some floating chunks of wood and depending on where the filter was it would make the wood stay in a certon spot of the tank..so ide try that if you cant go buy a turtle dock.

Most pet shops have little Turtle docks you can buy that come with a stick and sticky pads that stick to the side of your tank. they work great and even go up and down with water level change. OR You can get a big piece of Cork Bark from a pet shop or something and just cut it to where it sticks to the tank perfect...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 pm
by rsour24
i have mine held in by these stops
Image
its just a corner piece of wood cut to about an inch. ive had no problems withmy ATBA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 pm
by xewkija631
Well I decided to go to home depot and get some stuff and put something together really quick, i had no idea what i was doing but, I ended up doing something good seeming how they go on the above basking area now =]

thanks for the help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 am
by coreyvht
why didnt it fit i have a turtle topper on my 55 gal did you make sure to extend the suction cups