Habitat - Indoor :: flexstone for Tuck?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 pm   flexstone for Tuck?

Okay, so I've been looking for something big enough for Tuck to bask on and was at walmart lastnight, and I found something called flexstone. Its the perfect size for Tuck, but I guess its made out of compressed rubber. First of all I was wondering if it would be toxic to Tuck, and second, do you think it will melt from his basking light? It seems strong enough that it won't melt, but I really don't know. Can anyone here give me some insight on this? Thanks!
nene
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 16, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 pm   

Undertoad
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Apr 6, 2010
Location: Valley Forge Nat'l Park

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:09 pm   

yeah, that it! So what do u think?
nene
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 16, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:11 pm   

i feel like it will give off a rly bad smell under the heat since its rubber
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:47 pm   

Yeah and it mite melt...basking area's can get to like 95-100 degrees EASY...and for long periods of time, it will ither melt it, or deform it...
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am   

The page there says it's made from recycled tires. I wouldn't think it would melt since people are using it for outdoor installations, but it might give off gasses or as rsour24 said, a smell.
Undertoad
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Apr 6, 2010
Location: Valley Forge Nat'l Park

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm   

If it's made for outdoor uses and from recycled tires then I think it'll be able to handle being under a basking light as long as it doesn't pass 100'F. Tires get pretty hot and outdoors then temperatures can hit ~100 in certain places. But if I were you, I would put that thing in boiling water just to see what happens. If it lastes for 10 minutes then it can handle half the temperature your basking lamp(s) will put out. Boiling water = 212'F/100'C, basking temperatures = 90'F/32'C
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
User avatar
n00bEmpty
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Jan 18, 2010

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:01 am   

I would worry more about any chemicals it might give off.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:50 am   

Like RR38, I would also worry about what chemicals it may leach out from being wet/hot all the time.
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 95 guests