Page 1 of 1

building something

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 pm
by roseK
im upgrading my turtle and i dont like the platforms they sell, they just arent the right diminsions for my liking.

i built an above tank area for my turtle for the tank he is now, but its a little ghetto fabulous

im building a new platform and i want to know what is good to use to add texture to a ramp - material undecided yet - so he can climb up easily and wont be to abrasive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:12 pm
by rsour24
u could just use an old turtle dock or egg crate. u could use plexi glass with rocks or something attached to it for grip. you could use wood with like grooves carved into them. there is a lot u can use. someone on here is even using a peice of ceramic tile turned upside down

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 am
by steve
I've seen shelf liner and reptile carpet used as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 pm
by vear
Shelf liner works well - also, I've used rubber matting, like the stuff used for bathtubs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm
by brandonsdad02
I built a ramp with plexi glass that I heated up with a torch to put a slight bend in it then I glued rocks on it with silicone. Worked great. I used epoxy to glue the ramp to the rest of the basking area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 am
by blulite
i really want to make a new ramp out of polystyrene but cant think of a way to seal it. the plan was to dab the polystyrene with superglue to melt it into the desired design. and then paint and seal it. the thing is i need a clear sealent/ laquer that is aquarium safe.

the idea comes from my past hobby of wargaming. i used to make scenery for battlefields in the same way. but obv they dont need to be auarium safe.