Habitat - Indoor :: BASKING PLATFORM COMPLETE /W PICS

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 am   BASKING PLATFORM COMPLETE /W PICS

Pictures of completed unit at end of this post

Image Image Image

My tank is sized approx 48"X18"x24" (90 US gal) with an Eheim 2227 (two coarse mechanical filter pads, filter floss to fill).The dimensions of the platform proper are about 15"x12" while the ramp piece is about 15"x8.5", and the angle between is about 30 degrees. The four holes you see in the platform are for the mounting of stainless steel legs, 1/2" diameter by 15" long. The metal is 1"x1/8" 304 stainless steel flat bar, somewhere between 16-18" long. You can see holes drilled in them because I was originally planning to attach the bars to the tiles with machine screws, but after drilling the holes in the tiles for the legs, I gave up on that idea. The silicone caulk seems to be sturdy enough. Two edges broke because of improper drilling, heh.

One of the bars shows some reddish dust on the caulk - that's the powder from the bricks I used to weigh down the bars while the ramp-side caulk cured.

I plan to have the water level almost up to the bottom of the platform so that most of the ramp is submerged. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Hopefully, they love it - I damn well sacrificed a lot for this (ceramic shards are very sharp).

If you guys want to duplicate this, here's what I used:

2x 12"x12" dark "natural" ceramic tile*
1x 12"x18" ceramic tile with patterned back-side
1x 1"x1/8"x36" stainless steel flat bar, cut with cut-off saw and bent in a press brake
Drill press
Tile drilling bit
GE Silicone 1 caulk with NO anti-mildew agents (I believe only the Window and Door flavour works)
Caulking gun
Tile cutter to cut tiles to size
Weights or clamps for caulk curing

* I picked a dark colour so that the basking area would be warmer, and the natural finish, as opposed to a smooth glaze, aids in drying off the plastron - I only used two tiles because I couldn't find a larger size to make it from one piece, so I had to cut two and bond them as shown - you've probably guessed that the two lapping pieces are attached with more caulk, and you'd be right

You can do what you like to elevate the platform, but I used:

3x 1/2"x15" 304 stainless steel round bar
1x 1/2"x approx 13" 304 stainless round bar**
(4x) #10-32x3/4" button head socket cap screw***
(4x) #10-32 split-ring lock washer
(4x) #10-32 flat washer
1x 1/4"-20 flat washer****
1x 1/4"-20 split-ring lock washer
1x 1/4"-20 hex nut
1x 1/4"-20 304 stainless leveling foot (to make 4 legs stable)

** 4th leg needs to be shorter so that it's the same length as the others once the leveling foot is added
*** The #10-32 fasteners screw into the legs through the drilled 1/4" holes in the tile
**** The 1/4"-20 pieces lock the leveling foot in place

Unless you have access to a machine shop, I do not recommend using this style of mounting unless you want to pay around $100 or more to have these legs made. However, if you do have a lathe, you can do it - simply cut to length, square all ends, drill and tap one side of each leg for #10-32 to a depth of at least 1/2", and drill and tap the other side of ONE leg for whatever size screw-in leveling foot you have (mine was 1/4"-20), to a depth of at least 1".

Note: all metals 304 stainless steel unless otherwise specified
Note2: I strongly suggest NOT using aluminum and stainless together in the tank due to galvanic corrosion

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I know the shell is not in the greatest shape, but it's a rescue from my backyard, of all places.

More pics

ImageImage ImageImage Image Image Image ImageImage

I discovered something interesting. When the larger turtle tries to mount the smaller turtle, the smaller turtle sort of gyrates in position to try to dislodge the larger turtle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Last edited by 454Casull on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
454Casull
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 30, 2010
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 pm   

Very cool! The ramp is another tile, but flipped over, right? What an ingenious idea! Can't wait to see it all set up :D
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm   

BullDog wrote:Very cool! The ramp is another tile, but flipped over, right? What an ingenious idea! Can't wait to see it all set up :D

Correct. You can see, in the pictures of the underside, the glazed top surface of the tile used as the ramp. I could've used the underside of the gray tiles as the top of the platform, but I decided not to because it would've made attaching the legs properly a hassle due to a non-flat mating surface.
454Casull
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 30, 2010
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 pm   

Nice, I like it a lot.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:40 pm   

Awesome basking spot! I love the creativity. Your turts seem to love it!
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 am   

Excellent work. Nice turtles too :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 am   

Nice work! That turned out really well! :D
User avatar
seano997
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: WI

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:29 am   

very nice.... your turtles must love it....
Spiky - 7mo Wild Red Ear Slider
Toni Montana - 6mo Gold fish
Shiner - 4mo went fishing the last life bait lives in the tank
Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
Survivor - i caught in the lake
pics: www.facebook.com/mbombonato
User avatar
TartarugaVerde
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Apr 7, 2010
Location: Weston, Florida

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 pm   

Nice! :P
coopersnow
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Location: Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 78 guests