Habitat - Indoor :: I am in need of some advice.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm   I am in need of some advice.

Okay, so I went in my turtle room to turn off the lights, and i looked down into my pond, and I see my male RES fred breeding my female RES Jo. I also have a suspicion that he bred my other female RES wilma. I say this because I picked her up and a white milky substance came out from her um, how do you say, "lady area". I usually keep my males and females seperate so they cant breed. But fred actually lifted his screen top off of his tank, jumped out and into my 100 gallon indoor preformed pond I keep my females in (he is fine, no injuries that I can see in case your wondering). Also my two females are fighting now, they have never fought with each other. They are biting each other and chasing each other around the pond. I seperated them, but is this normal behavior? Will they eventually get along again after they both lay eggs? I know practically everything about RES other than the topic of breeding. So now here is the rest of my parade of questions for you guys.
1.) What kind of a nesting area should I provide? Does it need to be just sand or loose dirt or something else?
2.) how long does it take after breeding for the females to lay the eggs?
3.) will they require anything extra now that they are pregnant? Do they need more calcium or vitamins or anything?

Like I said before I know almost everything else about RES exept breeding. Also if there is anything I didnt ask about you think I should know, please tell me. I read the redearedslider.com section on breeding, but it didnt answer all my questions. also to the mods, I didnt know what section to put this under, if its in the wrong place I am sorry. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me out.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm   

I don't recall females fighting each other due to mating issues.

1) I think the more natural, the better. A lot of this is instinctive for your turtle, she probably won't lay them somewhere she finds unsuitable.
2) I have no hard #, but some people here think 1 or 2 weeks. In my limited experience, it can happen that soon but there is no time frame.
3) I would add more calcium into the diet

Did you go to the links in the reproduction section?
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 am   

Thanks steve. Why do you think they all of a sudden started fighting then? These two turtles have been together their whole life, and have never fought or acted aggresive towards one another. This is actually my second time having a pregnant female. The first time I was extremely lucky. I didnt know my RES was gravid and she laid the eggs behind her basking rock. I was very lucky not to have her become egg-binded. I am going to try and do better this time. Also what you think the white milky stuff that dripped out of my other female RES was? I think I know what it was, I am pretty sure she was bred also.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am   

Fighting... I wish I knew. Are they both fighting or is one bullying the other? I've never had gravid females together, but I can't be sure as to what's happening. I think your guess about the substance is correct.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am   

My smaller female is actually bullying the larger one. Like I said before I seperated them, but now the smaller RES is in a rubbermaid tote, that to be honest isint big enough. But its all I had to put her in. I think I will go to walmart or maybe lowes tomorrow and see if i can find a cheap 48"X18" rubbermaid tote. Then buy another smaller tote to put a nest area in. Wow, I just realized, this is gonna cost me a ton of money :( . But I guess what ever I gotta do to make sure my RES stay happy and healthy I will do it.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 am   

i think it may because there fighting over the male know they know he exists and they wahnt him to there selves lol thats what i can think of
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
User avatar
coreyvht
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: bonney lake ,wa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 am   

Steve that's a nice new photo you have! ;)
Outlander
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Jan 6, 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 pm   

Another question about the nesting area. I have a tote with a 50/50 mix of sand and potting soil. Do I need a heat and/or a UVB light over the nesting area?
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Jun 7, 2009
Location: Glendale, Ky

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:20 pm   

I would use a light. It would warm the area and might encourage her to say in one place.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests