Habitat - Indoor :: driftwood - friend or foe?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 pm   driftwood - friend or foe?

Yesterday, I dropped by the local pet store, and got an extra basking dock, plus a good sized piece of driftwood.

Typhoon was pretty cute, she figured out right away that she could hide behind it, cause I have it angled on the tank wall (and anchored very well) for them to use as a hiding place. I like it better than the tunnel they just out grew (tunnel has been removed of course). She kept going up to it, swimming away, approaching it, over and over again until she figured out she could use it as a resting spot too. She practically loves the thing.

Now, what was Hurricane's reaction? OH HELL NO!!! She wouldn't go anywhere near it for a few hours. Then, I walk by the tank and she's sitting on it like it's her best friend. The way I have it in the tank, they can sit on the very top of it and look out for the surface while still feeling hidden.

And, they are sharing it too. I love when they share stuff. Usually, the only other things they will share are the basking docks and the vine. Everything else has been fluttered over, and each object in the tank belongs to either one of them. They can never seem to figure out who owns the filter... lol XD

I like driftwood cause it's gonna lower the pH, which will be helpful against the infamous turtle pee. Not that I thought the pH was super high, but I know it wasn't the most enjoyable thing in the world, even with the filter.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm   

So you still need the basking area?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 pm   

Yeah, the driftwood can't be a basking dock. Doesn't float.

I have two of those tan colored zoo med floating docks, the one everybody gets, side by side.

In any case, they are obsessed with this driftwood. They spend hours resting on it. But they are like that any time they get new stuff, so, in another day they won't even care about it much anymore. I should stop spoiling them, shouldn't I? lol XD
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 117 guests