Habitat - Indoor :: I have a chance to buy this filter....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 pm   I have a chance to buy this filter....

I found a filter online for pretty cheap that I am considering buying, but need some advice on. It was listed on Craigslist for $25 and is a 50+ gallon filter, but the guy selling it doesn't know what make or model it is (which seems strange to me). He said they barely used it before getting sick of their fish tank so it's practically new. My main question is whether it will be overkill for my tank. I have a 20g tank right now, with two 1 in RES and a 6 in pleco. They are major poop machines and the current filter (a donated Whisper 10) is definitely not cutting it. What do you guys think?
Last edited by serenityfound on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
serenityfound
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
Location: Southern California

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 pm   

that filter shouldnt be to strong but i would try to find at least who made the filter. Seems strange he wouldnt know unless he bought it on craigslist himself.

A filter should be at least twice as strong as the size of the tank. So if you have a 20 gallon tank look for a filter that is for a 40 gallon tank at least
Skids
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jan 8, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm   

there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to turtles and filtration. Anything is better than a whisper 10, but you will save yourself a lot of money down the road if you go ahead a get a canister filter. Rena or Fluval are the filters most people on this forum use.
FOR THE HORDE!
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 pm   

That's what I figured. I was looking for one 2-3x my tank, but the guy says this was for 50-100g and I wasn't sure if that'd be overkill. I guess I'll just have to grab some folks and go look at it to figure out the brand and everything (which I imagine will be clearly marked lol).
User avatar
serenityfound
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
Location: Southern California


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests