Habitat - Indoor :: My new Tank and Basking Area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:02 pm   My new Tank and Basking Area

Here are pictures of the final project. I am really pleased so far, and the male just got spooked out of the area within a few hours of me putting it up. I think its just new to them and they are sniffing it out. I had them both in there for around 10 minutes. The male got himself out, and the female kept trying to claw out through the plexiglass, and I got tired of hearing it so I plopped her down the ramp.

I may have to think of some sort of canopy or cover too. I bought some screen, but took it back deciding against it, however, hard to tell from the pictures, but the female is huge, and I think actually might have a chance of pulling herself out on a corner. Will have to wait and see though.

Made of Oak, stained one coat, poly'd 2 coats. Plexiglass on the front with brass screws, Cheap Pine plywood base, but poly'd 4 coats on the bottom. It doesn't touch the water but I think the moisture won't bother it for quite some time.

The ramp is one of those turtle docks bolted onto the bottom. Exo-Terra AstroTurf is cut to fit and velcro'd down on the plywood.

This is quite a step up for them. Now I have a 75 gallong tank for them instead of a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote half filled with water.

Overall I'm pretty proud. Just hope they get up there and get some basking in. From everything I have read though red ears do spend most of their time in the water. I also plan on getting a UVB bulb soon. Have had these guys for a little over 5 years now. They were bought in Florida in a mall and were the size of quarters.

I'm new to this web site by the way, seems like a great place. Thanks for letting me share.

- Josh

Image

Image
kisskollector
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
Location: Clarksville, IN

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:02 am   

That's a great set up! What's that material you use for the basking area, the green stuff? RES usually prefer rocks for basking.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 am   

It's an astroturf for snakes, dragons, tortoises, etc. Has a good grip and dries out quickly, so it doesnt hold moisture.
kisskollector
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
Location: Clarksville, IN

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:57 am   

Ooh. Never heard of those before. Anyways you've got a cool tank there buddy!
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am   

Looks really nice, nice job
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests