Habitat - Indoor :: New Aquarium!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 am   New Aquarium!

Hello! My red eared slider, named Sprite, is currently living in an undersized aquarium, and a very generous person is giving me a 75 gallon tank for free. This will be Sprite's first ever move, and I am wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of beforehand. I plan on redoing the setup very differently, with a different substrate and a new larger basking area. Will all of these changes stress him out? How should I go about introducing him into this new strange place? Also, I have a pleco fish, and I was worried that if the new substrate is sand, will it harm the pleco in any way? Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Emily!
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 7, 2010
Location: Kansas

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:57 pm   

From my experience which isnt much but i have changed tanks 3 times. I under estimated their growing abilities haha. I just cleaned the new tank well and put them in it. At first the turtles seemed confused but within a day or so they where used to it and seemed more active with the greater amount of swimming room.
Skids
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Jan 8, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:04 pm   

Wow its great that your turtle will be moving in to a bigger and greater home!!

To answer your question about him being stress"d. In the beggining you may notice him not being "himself" or not eating he will just need some time adjusting to his new habitat.

As far as that pleco goes i"m pretty sure that sand won"t harm it.

P.S I cant wait to see pics of the setup when your done :)
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:52 am   

Thanks, I feel a lot more confident about the move now. :) I would love to post pictures, but I don't own a digital camera that would allow me to put the pictures on here. :S I'll see if my sister will let me borrow hers!
User avatar
Emily!
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 7, 2010
Location: Kansas


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests